General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What purpose to the electric cutouts serve...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 PM

well if you want a louder exhaust sound, youd have to get bigger pipes from the cat-back. Upgrade to 3in piping and itll scream. Also down pipe can add just a little noise

Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04LaVaSS
well if you want a louder exhaust sound, youd have to get bigger pipes from the cat-back. Upgrade to 3in piping and itll scream. Also down pipe can add just a little noise
can ya point me in the direction for just the down pipe? and whats the cost? ty,joe

Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have a place to go for safety / emissions where they dont look under your car, go in with your cut out closed and you will pass. Some places dont play by the rule book as close others may. Ask some friends if they know of less strict places. If it looks like you can pull it off, then go ahead and get the cut out installed. You just asked about negatives, as far as voiding your cars warranty see the link from the new Camaro's and their discussion of this exact questions. Seems like it is really up to the service writer at the particular dealership you go to.

Exhaust cutouts void warranty? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts

Old 02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

gonna ask this one more time here. again i deleted the res. and put on two magnaflow mufflers. still was hoping for more noise. now other than the electric cut outs or going up to a 3inch system is there anything else i can do to get loud? i know i sound stupid but i keep hearing downpipe and im just not sure what it is and if i can replace the one i have or install one to get the sound im looking for. dont make fun of my stupidity just give me some answers! LOL please ty for the help

Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM

This is one down pipe made for our cars, I'm not sure if their are others, but this is one I found while searching for one that I will eventually put on my car. However, as to my knowledge anything done ahead of the cat will void warranty, but I may be off on this. I do know that headers will void warranty, so would think it be safe to assume this would as well.

At any rate @60k miles or 10years I will eventually be doing this :p
DP7S

Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by joeykl66
gonna ask this one more time here. again i deleted the res. and put on two magnaflow mufflers. still was hoping for more noise. now other than the electric cut outs or going up to a 3inch system is there anything else i can do to get loud? i know i sound stupid but i keep hearing downpipe and im just not sure what it is and if i can replace the one i have or install one to get the sound im looking for. dont make fun of my stupidity just give me some answers! LOL please ty for the help
the downpipe comes off the rear exhaust manifold and goes right in front of the resonator, its the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

if you want more noise, why not just chop off the mufflers or go with flowmaster?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I live in pa and my car is a major build. I have a cutout on my Monte with a Turbo and built engine and I noticed a huge difference in HP and spool time. Sounds amazing and VERY loud. Were I live in pa I only need a inspection and visual emissions check so I don't have an issue getting it inspected. But if I would need emissions stickers I would never get it do to other mods. The shop I go to as long as its closed and not leaking they will pass it. I personally say do the cutout!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:00 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I would do the cutout as well. If you don't pass because of it, stick on a sealed block off plate, get it inspected and put your cut out back on.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

don't go 3" with a cutout... probably won't have enough back pressure

Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

You need back pressure on a 5.3? It doesn't make much of a difference at all truthfully, and if all he wants is louder, it will get him what he needs easy.

Quick Reply: What purpose to the electric cutouts serve...