General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

what oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 04:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In my truck 15 GMC 2500HD I run ***** nilly oil. Walmart brand high mileage stuff or what ever I snag when I notice things on sale. It gets the AC DELCO filter PF48E, buy on eBay a dozen at a time. The Monte because it can be pushed up to extreme r's, it usually gets AMSOIL 15w-50 and typically a AMSOIL or Mobil 1 Filter. Have in the past use NAPA Gold, WIX XP. All 4 are probably close enough to proper filtration. But then this is because Matt who built the motor etc. wants either AMSOIL or REDLINE used when possible. So I look for deals off of eBay and stock up ahead of time.

Agree with the overall consensus, most oils work, just keep it relatively fresh. In the Army, we would drain oil from engines being turned in and use it in other tank, jeep or truck engines. Was in a 3rd echelon maint. outfit and you had to do what ever necessary that night so the unit commanders would have as many vehicles back for the next days maneuvers.

Rust? What is that?

Old 10-29-2021, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
In my truck 15 GMC 2500HD I run ***** nilly oil. Walmart brand high mileage stuff or what ever I snag when I notice things on sale. It gets the AC DELCO filter PF48E, buy on eBay a dozen at a time. The Monte because it can be pushed up to extreme r's, it usually gets AMSOIL 15w-50 and typically a AMSOIL or Mobil 1 Filter. Have in the past use NAPA Gold, WIX XP. All 4 are probably close enough to proper filtration. But then this is because Matt who built the motor etc. wants either AMSOIL or REDLINE used when possible. So I look for deals off of eBay and stock up ahead of time.

Agree with the overall consensus, most oils work, just keep it relatively fresh. In the Army, we would drain oil from engines being turned in and use it in other tank, jeep or truck engines. Was in a 3rd echelon maint. outfit and you had to do what ever necessary that night so the unit commanders would have as many vehicles back for the next days maneuvers.

Rust? What is that?
I actually run Amsoil in my riding lawnmower. 30 weight. But I read a "white paper" on oils, and they rated them independently top to bottom with a bar graph. Amsoil was at the top, but just a very tiny bit below it was Valvoline. Certainly not enough to justify the huge expense difference. I have used Valvoline in my race cars for year, and all my street cars. I admit when I find a deal on Pennzoil I will use it. It is also a top rated oil. Now there are so many different ways to make oil I remain confused. Pure oil, blended synthetic oil, synthetic oil and now Pennzoil Ultra made from Natural Gas. Very confusing. You can buy full sythetic Valvoline and Pennzoil 5 qts off Amazon for $22. Ultra for $29. $11 or so for a good filter and good to go. I try to buy 10W30. I don't live in a really cold climate, but they are pushing 5W for better mileage, not for longevity. Getting harder to find.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:31 AM

I use Valvoline 20W50 VR1 racing oil in both my '74 Monte Carlo and my 1968 Hearse.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:02 PM

My cousin races and he says everyone uses Mobil 1 which I have used for a while now. I think you could use any oil as long as it's the right grade and you change it often. If you ever over heat, change it immediately.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by zucchi
I use Valvoline 20W50 VR1 racing oil in both my '74 Monte Carlo and my 1968 Hearse.
Seems a bit of overkill to me, but I don't know how built your motors are. I used straight 50 in my race car, but never used anything over 10W40 on the street.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
I agree with that, but you left out a very important part - filtration. In this thread you will see I posted results on the best filters out there, and it's usually pretty simple.. Most offer a good, better and best. Buy the best. You can have $50 a gallon oil in your car but if you are not filtering out particles it does no good. I also run magnetic oil plugs on all my cars. They are only about $5. Good investment.
I did mention the oil filter (as that is worth while). But as for filtration done by the company selling the motor oil (which I would assume is part of the refining process of the raw crude), sure there can be a difference in that between vendors.... But I still think for your average daily driver, you are not going to see any significant benefit. Buying $50 a gallon oil vs $20 a gallon, I highly doubt there is enough gain to justify the extra $30 a gallon. Such as in my location, the car will rust apart before the drive train will give out.