General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What Do You Think Your Monte Will Be Worth In 20 Yrs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i also agree with others that they probably wont be worth much at all as a collectible but turbo monte to me is a collectible right now so thats all that matters in my eyes. every one has a price that they would sell but no one would come even close with an offer to get my attention lol

Old 10-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Truth be told, my Monte was originally going to be a daily driver car. I wanted FWD for that reason. Had I known it would become more of a "toy car", I would have gone after a GTO (I've driven those re-badged Holden cars and loved them).
But I got the Monte, I still have NO regrets. I cut my teeth on some fun DIY mods, I have met a countless number of great people and made a few trips all because of being a Monte Carlo owner.

Despite those good statements, GM made a ton of these FWD cars. But regardless of those hear that end up keeping them over the next 20 years or leave them before 20 years, we all have something we love about these cars and that is what will always be remembered!

I currently plan to have mine in the next 20 years, but who knows what might happen. And if I still have mine in 20 years, curious to see what the status of these cars will be then.

For the record, my first passion is the 3rd Gen Camaros. It may not run, may be in pieces, but I have my '84. Drove it for about 3 years before tearing it apart. I've had it since 1998 (second car I ever owned).

Old 10-01-2015, 07:27 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

My Monte in brand new condition with only 30500 miles on it is worth crap - $6000. That is why I am using it as a daily driver until I can afford a replacement so I can get rid of it.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow 30k on a 2003? I'm at 92k in my 07 and don't plan on selling it whatsoever! Doesn't sound like there's much faith from you guys with these Montes lol I wonder if I'm the only one thinking that they'll be worth a decent amount. I work at a dmv and see tons of cars that are old yet hold their value and come no where near the monte. Wonder what makes a car a collectable. I honestly don't think fwd has anything to do with that. I mean considering that back in the day nearly every car was RWD and I'm sure everyone probably thought what we think now lol they were probably thinking "my car sucks in snow and everyone has one. Once they come out with a nice, safe, fast, and reliable fwd car our cars will be worthless...lol can you tell ima dreamer? Haha

Old 10-02-2015, 10:15 AM

With gas prices more than likely most people will go towards the actual savers such as malibus, impalas, camrys things like that. No one really wants a v8 fwd car that's two doors that with gas the way it is. If your gonna get a v8 most people look at rwd cause they look to mod. Now the v6 model, perhaps cause it's not a lot of power vs the v8 in that category and plus every other v6 now a days are being fitted with a turbo from stock for the additional power. That's kinda why I don't think these will be worth poop

Old 10-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member
Default I hate to say this but

the most valuable Ls4 Car today and in the future is the Buick lacrosse super
from Kelleybluebook.com using my zip code
08 Lacrosse super 70k-$13129
08 Grand prix GXP 70k-11499
08 impala ss 70k-12262
07 monte ss 70k-12666

but who has ever seen a LAX super-they are like a Leprechaun riding a Unicorn.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Well i'm a leprechaun and i ride a unicorn. My super below.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by S.O.G.
Doesn't sound like there's much faith from you guys with these Montes lol .... Wonder what makes a car a collectable.
I'm trying to think the best way to explain what I'm thinking (so I may mis my mark). You are talking about collectible and what something is worth.

What something is worth means someone is willing to pay a price for an item. That happens everyday be it a cheeseburger at the driver thru, a new TV or a new car.
There are people that collect many things and some of those collections people have are worthless because no one else would be willing to pay anything for it.

Before I continue, keep in mind, I love my Monte, I love the product line and I hope in 20 years I'm dead wrong. But here is what I see are some issues with the Monte and being seen as a high value collectible car:

- It is built on the W-body platform, used for a ton of different cars that offer similiar features (Impalas, Regals, Grand Prix, Buick Century and I'm sure some others). It's a less unique platform (such as the F-Body was Firebird and Camaro).
- Back to the original statement, I believe car manufacturers are producing and selling higher volume of cars these days then they did in the 50's-70's (nature of the industry).
- Current cars are built to be more "disposable". Cheaper bodies, thinner steel, just not designed to hold up long term. Granted, if someone preserved a car like these for the next 20 years, it could become a collectible car for this fact the others rotted away (but that depends on why someone is interested in it, do they want it because there are hardly any available that are worth while).
- It is FWD these days. Sure, back in the day, a lot of people never thought some of the RWD cars would be collectible. But keep in mind, back in the day almost any RWD platform car could be gutted or easily re-worked and made into a race vehicle (so these cars present a an interest to people who race as a hobby). FWD, not the end all be all, but I think a hindrance nonetheless (especially since the Monte heritage began as a RWD platform).
- None of the FWD Montes has a rare and desired drivetrain. The closest to rare and desired drivetrain would be the FWD LS powered Montes (they are made for only two years). Take a Grand National, it's "just a Buick Regal", but it has a drivetrain unique to that car (and some other Regal trim levels, like the T-type). That drive train made that car a part of history!
- Despite the "Limited Edition" Monte packages, they are still all the same under the hood. Those packages are graphics and minor flare in the grand scheme of things.
- Today these cars have a small niche following. Not too many die-hard Monte guys. Most people into the Monte love the car for what it is, partly because the name plate is no longer around, eventually move towards another vehicle higher on the car hierarchy. When they do, the Monte is still a loved memory, but it's just that, they moved on.

Those are reasons I find it hard to see these cars being high value collector cars in 20 years.
Now, I'll give a couple flip side options.... Here are the reason I can think of that MIGHT make them high value collector cars in 20 years:
- Odds are few, if any will be preserved or restored 20 years from now. So if say 10 of these still exist in 20 years that are still mint condition, they just became super rare. Some people gravitate to the "rare" concept.
- Nostalgia. 20 years from now, former Monte owners may get nostalgic about the car. Maybe it was a first car or an early favorite or had a special memory. Whatever the case may be, nostalgia can drive a lot of interest. This is why Ford did the retro look on the Mustang in 2005, both the young audience can appreciate it and you also get an older generation (who may have more disposable income having kids out of the house and such) re-interested in the car by getting them nostalgic about an old Mustang they had.

Ultimately, you can make the argument on both sides of this. But my gut says there is not enough about these cars to drive them to be high value collector items in 20 years. Just a gut feeling. But again, I hope I still have my Monte and I hope to be proven wrong in 20 years

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I love that!! Great statement!

Old 10-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93

you proved my point-
Lacrosse Super Production Totals 2416
08-2277
09-139

Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Cool

In 20 years, Wayne Koreany and his daughters will be seeking out Monte Carlo's all over the USA and they will be shown at the Concurs de elegance in Monterey, CA near the Beach Club at Pebble Beach ( was there back in the 60's).
They should easily fetch 100K to 125K the rarest ones will be the 5th Gens. cause every body liked 6th and 7th.
Time will tell!