General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What Do You Think Your Monte Will Be Worth In 20 Yrs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question What Do You Think Your Monte Will Be Worth In 20 Yrs?

Curious what you guys think these babies would sell for in 20 years? What would you sell it for? I was looking up Montes for sale and it is becoming more and more difficult to find the supercharged and the ls4's...will an original be worth more? Or would the value raise as the vehicle gets modded? Please include what gen you own!

Old 09-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Thumbs up Great Thread Questions

Hi S.O.G., > Great thread & questions
I think you should go first

What do you think ?
I think a stock Monte will be worth more then a modified Monte. I do hope that we are all around in 20 + years to see who post the closest value $ ? $
Thanks for your Super Thread/posts

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 09-29-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Default >fyi<

I hope member's enjoy the below infor ?
1983-'88 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

A winner in its day that is still waiting to get up to speed as a collector car

Feature Article from Hemmings Motor News

July, 2012 - Mike McNessor

If you've been waiting for the 1983-'88 Monte Carlo SS to skyrocket in value, or at least creep to a comfortable place past its original MSRP, the bad news is you've got some more waiting to do.

The good news is, if you're looking for an inexpensive older American almost-muscle car to drive, or just an appropriate venue in which to air out all of your old Def Leppard cassettes, you simply cannot beat the MC SS: Its stock dual-exhaust system is appropriately throaty; its variable-ratio steering box and sport suspension still offer a fun driving experience; and its looks...well, if you were a fan of Dale Earnhardt in the 1980s, there's something very comforting about seeing that "aero" front-end treatment again.
At the end of the 1980s, as Chevrolet misstepped into production of front-wheel-drive V-6 passenger cars and rear-drive family machines seemed doomed forever, the Monte SS--in particular, the limited-production 1986 and 1987 NASCAR-inspired Aerocoupes--looked like prime candidates for appreciation. But it has yet to happen.
Among GM's underappreciated G-Bodies from the 1980s, the Buick Regal Grand National has emerged as the price leader, due to its superior track record for performance against Ford's 5-liter Mustangs. The GN's mean, all-business looks never hurt it either.
The MC SS was a sales success in the 1980s. It was never intended to be the fastest car in Chevrolet's stable, outgunned as it was by the IROC-Z and the Corvette, but it attracted buyers looking for a comfortable ride with a back seat, trunk space and the ability to chirp the tires between shifts of its automatic transmission. This car filled the gap left by the departure of the Chevelle SS or, of course, the 1970-'71 Monte Carlo SS (which always seems to have been overshadowed by the Chevelle), and the obvious NASCAR tie-in only helped seal the deal. The Monte Carlo SS might hold the distinction of being the last of the true "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" Chevrolets. This was no Car of Tomorrow--the Monte Carlo on the showroom floor was fundamentally the same car that was being wheeled around superspeedways by the likes of Sunday heroes named Earnhardt, Waltrip, Bodine, Richmond, LaBonte and others. The production car had rear-wheel drive, a carbureted V-8 engine and a body shape shared by the race car. When Bill Elliott's slippery Ford Thunderbird dominated the 1985 NASCAR season, posting 200-plus-MPH speed records that may never be broken, Chevrolet fans rallied behind the introduction of the Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe. It was a real-deal homologation special built to strike back for the Bowtie!
Dozens and dozens of Monte Carlo SS's have been stashed away for posterity as collectibles, and far more have been modified, driven hard and trashed by cheap-thrill seekers. The rarest Monte Carlo SS of all is the 1986 Aerocoupe, with just 200 built to satisfy NASCAR requirements. If ever one of these cars could be valuable, it should be this one. In 2003 at Barrett-Jackson's Palm Beach auction, a 1986 Aerocoupe with 2,569 original miles sold for $14,580; at Mecum's Indianapolis sale in 2010, a 1986 Aerocoupe sold for $9,500; and in January, at Mecum's Kissimmee auction, an Aerocoupe sold for $18,250 (this car included a newly installed Chevrolet Ram Jet 350 engine, as well as the stock engine). When you consider that these cars carried an MSRP of around $15,000, it's hard to view them as investment grade today. Especially when, adjusted for inflation, $15,000 in 1986 equates to about $30,000 in today's dollars.
This article originally appeared in the July, 2012 issue of Hemmings Motor News.
1983-'88 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS | Hemmings Motor News
Source

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 09-29-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member

Appreciate the kind kind words BeachBumMike (kinda felt bad calling you that even though it's your username haha), hmm I wasn't prepared for an answer of my own! Lol I'd say 20 yrs from now it would be worth just south of 20k. I've got a 7th gen. The last year it was made, a 2007 SS with the stripes. Somewhat of a tough find now in 2015 so i can only imagine in 2035 lol although it's got 92k miles it's bone stock. Not sure I'm going to keep it that way tho lol it makes it a bit unique that it only came out with the ls4 for 2 yrs and they decided to go back to the v8's also. But I do believe the 3800 s/c version will have a higher value!

Old 09-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Thumbs up >Keeping this thread active > I'd buy the below for a investment > Fun <

I like the below Monte for $15K
I'd buy it for fun & a investment 4>$ure
1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

Next

Old 09-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by S.O.G.
Appreciate the kind kind words BeachBumMike (kinda felt bad calling you that even though it's your username haha), hmm I wasn't prepared for an answer of my own! Lol !

Hi S.O.G.,
I didn't know what to type for your name either (it wasn't in your MCF Profile) You can just call me `Mike, or `Bum (lol)...(just don't call me late for dinner) >lol

I think a owner should do whatever they want to their vehicle. If it's a classic (?) I personally would not do drastic mod's.

Below is a good article for you or member's to read...
Look forward to see what other member's post on your super thread.
EnJoy your Monte & Life 4.Sure....It's ends for everyone (?) Oh `no

How do modifications affect the value of a car? - Hemmings ...

blog.hemmings.com/.../ask-a-hemmings-editor-h...
Hemmings Motor News

May 31, 2013 - If they spoil the car, there's a good chance they'll decrease the value of the car. And whether the modifications enhance or spoil the car is, ...

Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

I don't mean to be a bubble burster, but i wouldn't expect these cars to really increase in value. Front wheel drive everyday cars probably won't be desirable as a collectible, and with any car, mods very rarely increase the value.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

1984 Monte SC Not worth much resale now much less in 20 years..maybe 4 bucks..LOL

2002 Monte SS Probably a lot less than the 84 in 20 years so $2.50 resale
But I would sell NEITHER for any amount of money!!! They are priceless to me.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member

I think back in the 80s these cars weren't a huge hit and aren't worth as much now because of the Grand National more specifically they had the GNX as the big boy. Hard to beat that GNX honestly but the 07 SS with the ls4 has competition vs the lacrosse and the grand prix? That's an easy win for the MC. I think in the future they'll be appreciated much more. Not to mention if they come out with a new MC, the price on these are almost a guarantee to go up. I do agree with the fwd statement tho lol

Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Thumbs up >Fun Thread> Keep it going `OK>Your Turn > Yes U < LOL

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I don't mean to be a bubble burster, .

Hi `Keane, yes U did > You busted everyone's BUBBLE >
Originally Posted by P343
But I would sell NEITHER for any amount of money!!! They are priceless to me.
Hi Mod `Barbara, I agree > you can't put a price on love...Beauty is in the eyes of the key holder of their Monte Carlo...

"Can't buy me love" but it can buy "XXX" (then U can go 2 the Doc's)

Hi S.O.D.,
Great to see member's posting & YES, the Buick GN is a super performer + I believe it will increase in value....

If I had a Monte (?), I would just enjoy it NOW & hope that I get another day to drive it again >4>Sure...