General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Water Coming In Under Dash on Front Passenger Floor

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Angry Water Coming In Under Dash on Front Passenger Floor

Hello ALL,

I've a 2000 Monte Carlo with a 3.4 engine with 96000 miles. Seem to be having problem with water coming inside vehicle during hard rain. The sun roof has leak since purchasing the car in 2008 from dealer. I took it back to them for repair but the sunroof still leaked during a hard rain so I went to Auto Zone to get some windshield stop leak (silicone) to put around the edges of the sun roof. I think I fixed the leak from the sunroof but I"m still finding some water under the front passenger floor mat. Could this be the windshield leaking? The water seems to be entering at the very front portion of the carpert beneath the dash area. It isn't the heater core for my heat is fine (no smell of antifreeze noted) and the floor is only wet after a hard rain. If it's the windshield, does it mean that the windshield needs to be resealed? There are no visible cracks in the windshield and the vehicle hasn't been wrecked. I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions from anyone whom has had a leak such as this before. Thanks for taking time to read this thread and or respond to it. Take Care! Hope to hear from someone very soon. Hopefully the insurance will cover the cost for having the windshield resealed if that's the problem. Or could it still be a leaking sunroof. By the way, the sunroof isn't operational! Decided not to have it fixed due to dealer requesting additional $1000 to repair it.
I found that there is no cabin filter but I'm not sure if there is suppose to be one. I did find the place where the water is entering the inside of the vehicle which is some sort of opening that's like 2-3 inches in diameter or so; I've no idea why GM would design the vehicle like this. Is there suppose to be some sort of plug in this hole? The only black piece i see looks like a piece of weatherstrip that runs along the base of the windshield or piece of frame located at base of the windshield. Suppose I need to know what is suppose be in this hole where the water is entering the vehicle for there isn't anything there. Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if theres no cabin air filter that could potentially be it, also, is the hole your talking about the drain hole for the sunroof? could be plugged causing it to leak

Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 PM

cabin filter change there is a seal under the cabin filter silcon that and u will have no leaks just happened to me

Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member

what hole are you talking about? the cabin air filter not being there will definately let water in but isnt for sure the case if you said its coming through a hole?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Angry

FYI,

The hole that i'm referring to is directly beneath the grill or screen that is on top of the cowl or whatever it's called. I don't know if this is the hole where the cabin filter should be or what since I never heard of a cabin filter. When I take a water hose and spray water on the bottom of the windshield, the water goes through this little hole directly into the floor of my vehicle. Isn't there suppose to be a water shield over this hole or something, if not the cabin filter. Where exactly does the cabin filter go and how big are they? Some guy at Auto Zone told me the cabin filter goes over the blower motor. Is this true?
Thanks for responding!
Originally Posted by trewyn15
what hole are you talking about? the cabin air filter not being there will definately let water in but isnt for sure the case if you said its coming through a hole?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Angry

How big is the cabin filter for this thing and where exactly does it mounts? some guy at Auto Zone told me it goes over the blower motor. Is this so? The water is entering the vehicle in the little hole directly beneath the grill or screen that is on the very top of the cowl or whatever it's called. I would appreciate a photo of the cabin filter if anyone can post one. Thanks

Originally Posted by 04 dale jr supercharged
cabin filter change there is a seal under the cabin filter silcon that and u will have no leaks just happened to me

Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

6th Gen Cabin Air Filter Replacement ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

see if this gives you any answers!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Angry

Where is the hole for the sunroof because I've no idea?

Originally Posted by trewyn15
if theres no cabin air filter that could potentially be it, also, is the hole your talking about the drain hole for the sunroof? could be plugged causing it to leak

Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member

Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member

im not sure if that worked haha

Quick Reply: Water Coming In Under Dash on Front Passenger Floor