General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Upgrading to S/C...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Default Upgrading to S/C...

I did a search, but I didn't find any topics on this. I was curious as to if I would be able to take a supercharger off maybe an Intimidator, GTP, or an SSEI (maybe from a junk yard?) and put it on my N/A '00 SS. And if I could do that, what would I all need to take from the donor car and put into my car? I also know I would have to upgrade the tranny to handle the extra power, but what all would it need to withstand an S/C, CAI, and exhaust? I was thinking maybe putting in a shift kit and adding an auxiliary trans cooler like Wayne did, but is this enough?

What do you guys think?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Default RE: Upgrading to S/C...

I learned that if you want boost, you need to lower compression. The compression ration on an L36 is something like 9.4:1 and the compression ratio on an L67(supercharged) is 8.5:1. You'll need heads, pistons, etc...however, check out this link, ParrotZ34 just boosted his Gen 5 MC Z34:
https://montecarloforum.com/m_84713/tm.htm

Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Will.

Something to consider. rage772 has got a couple entire supercharged 3800 series II engines for sale in the for sale section. Click the link below for more details in his for sale thread.

S/C 3800 series II engine for sale

Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 AM

Thanks guys, but I don't think I will go that extreme. Changing out the internals or the entire engine will probably get too involved and too expensive; I was just hoping that I would be able to bolt on a S/C without too many changes, but I guess I'll just have to stick with upgrading the intake/exhaust/PCM.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:12 AM

you can just bolt on from what i know of the kit with ZZpref. this is a direct bolt on.
I actually looked at doing this also belive it was like 3,000 when all said and done with the inercooler. and pretty much a direct bolt on.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is this an aftermarket turbo kit Mickey?

I know I've mentioned before how much I'd like my 3.9 in my '06 monte to have the blower on it and other's responded I'd be better off the find an aftemarket turbo to use.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 PM

no it is actually a S/C but it was desied as a bolt on with the current comp. etc...

but i know they have a turbo out for the cars also becuse i have actually thought of doing it instead on mine but i cant remeber where the link is for it. I just did a serch on the internet for it .

but the whole kit is pretty kool

Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 PM

As much as I would love to, I don't really have $3,000 to spend on putting a S/C on my Monte. I was thinking more along the lines of going to a junk yard and pulling one out of an Intimidator or GTP or Bonneville and dropping maybe $100-200. So if that's out of the question I will probably just leave my Monte naturally aspirated.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I'm sure there's other factors involved besides just dropping a blower on and hitting the streets. If that were the case you'd see alot more guys doing this to their cars.

Like the fuel pump. It will need upgraded or you risk running the engine lean and burning pistons. Then a wiring harness upgrade to take into account things that will get moved around to still be able to operate in their new locations.

Since all cars/trucks now days have flat or dished pistons in them and dished is what you want to run a blower. In therory you could try slapping the blower on your engine and it actually running. But to take full advantage of the power your engine would need to come apart or be replaced with a blower engine.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
rj
15 Year Member

A little info.

When I was in my early 20s a local guy owned a '77 Nova. The car had a 350 small block under the hood. It was a nice car and people liked it. One year for Christmas this guy's sister bought him a blower set up for the car and even paid to have the blower polished. Afterall she wanted her brother's car to look cool.

He ran the 350 like this with the blower on it for a couple years. But the car never really had the power expected out of it. Then one year he took the 350 small block out and had a speed shop put dished pistons in while doing a re-build on it. The car came back out on the streets faster then ever.

So the following year..... the car was tubbed to run bigger tires out back. The tires this guy ran on the cartill then would not hook up. Not with the blower on there. So the car got like 15 inch wheels, 10 inches wide with a set of huge @$$ Mickey Thompson tires on them. With the car being tubbed the tires fit pretty good.