Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Upgrading Braking system

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:54 AM
Default Upgrading Braking system

Guys, I want to upgrade my braking system and was hoping you guys can give me some advise on some good packages or brands I can buy. I an advise, or opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Default RE: Upgrading Braking system

I went with crossdrilled rotors (I forget the brand name but can find out). I wanted crossdrilled and slotted, but couldn't find any at a reasonable price. I like the look of crossdrilled better than slotted, but don't know the performance difference. I also have Hawk carbon fiber pads and replaced the rubber brake lines with stainless steel.

I painted the calipers while I had them off. I used 1200 degree engine enamal paint. Its been over a year and they still look good. I cleaned them with a wire wheel attached to a drill, then used brake cleaner spray on them and then put three coats of the paint on.

They whole system was around $800 if I remember correctly. And I'm really happy with it. There is no spongy feeling in the pedal (actually very solid feeling) no matter how hard you apply the brakes. And it will stop on a dime. I didn't test stopping distance, but I know it greatly improved. Overall I am really happy with it and think it is one of the best upgrades you can do. Theres no better feeling than being able to stop when you need to!

There are pics on my profile if you want to take a look. oh, one more thing - the carbon fiber pads don't seeem to put out hardly any brake dust, so my wheels stay clean!

Old 01-31-2006, 11:03 PM

My only dilema with drilled rotors, is that I hear they tend to crank, aka stress cracks along the holes. I don't want to spend a huge amount on something that isn't worth it. Also I wanted to increase the caliper size, but I'm not sure if any company carries big brakes for our cars.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:09 PM

I havent heard that. I'm gonna check mine. I have about 15,000 miles on them. Thanks for that info. I didnt find any aftermarket calipers when I was looking for parts.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:30 AM

I'm not saying it's definately going to happen, I just want to make sure I don't spend a bundle on something thats not going to last. Currently the stock feel in the brake pedal has worn, so I feel like it's time to upgrade to something better. I just want to know what my options are, and hopefully get some reviews from what people have out there. But I did read about stress fractures, or stress cracks in drilled rotors, once again this is just from research.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:59 AM

After selling these drilled/slotted rotors the past few years Ive seen them stress crack, but nothing major. The upgraded calipers and stainless hoses will result in much better brakes. Stay away from anything too extreme though or the ABS will get a workout.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:40 AM

Anything that you would recommend for my 05 LT?

Old 02-10-2006, 02:48 PM

If you really want an "upgrade" do an "F" body conversion on the front with cross/slotted and Hawk pads with SS lines. You go from a single piston iron caliper to a double piston aluminum caliper and double the pad surface. Anything else is just cosmetic.

~F-Body Front Brake Upgrade~

Calipers from CarQuest WITH Bracket (you can probably cross-reference these at another parts store if you are lacking a CarQuest):
#18-4692 LH (Camaro RH)
#18-4693 RH (Camaro LH)

Banjo Bolts and Knucle to Bracket Bolts from GM
#22163795 (X2)
#18023646 (X4)

Steel-Backed PTFE Sleeves from www.mcmaster.com
#6679K16 (X4)

Front Pads of your choice for a 98+ Camaro or Firebird.

IF you do not have the 12" Stock Rotors (for example GP's have a smaller rotor) you will need 12" Rotors, either stock Fronts from a Monte or Camaro/Firebird, they are the same Numbers. Or of course your Favorite Slotted or Drilled brand for one of them applications. All Montes have the 12" (11.9") rotors, so Monte Users, ignore this part about rotors.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 PM

I have the crossdrilled rotors, stainless lines and Hawk pads already. Are you saying I can upgrade to an aluminium dual piston caliper from a Camero? About what is the cost for these factory parts? I'm assuming I have to replace the pads to fit the new calipers, but the upgraded calipers may be something i can do when I need to replace the pads I have now.

What about the rear calipers?

Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM

I forgot to add...

Going from a single piston caliper to a dual piston (or more) caliper doesn't necessarily increase the pad size. It could even use the same size pad, depending on the caliper. What it does do is increase the surface area that the caliper uses to apply pressure to the pad, which results in a more even pressure being applied to the full length of the pad, thus increasing braking efficiency and pad life. With a single piston caliper, chances are that pressure is applied unevenly and only parts of the pad are actually used in braking.

Just thought I'd clarify that.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Braking system