General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 01:46 PM
Default Transmission Questions

The 4T65E is a box of problems for me. I have had six vehicles with this Pandora's box of gears and each suffered the same fate. However, I finally love one enough to NOT want it gone. My 02 SS monte is in trouble guys. Recently the forward engage band snapped in the trans, and I have to shift like a manual without a clutch, which is never a great idea, and even a bad idea when it is your only transportation, which is the case for me.

I know that the 4t65e has many variants, with different switch types, wiring types and cooler line connection types, along with a myriad of gear ratios. I have managed to locate two possible donor cars with good transmissions. One is a 99 Monte Carlo with the 3100 engine, one is a 99 Lumina with the same series 2 3800 as my Monte. Can anyone here confirm that either of these will or will not swap into my baby? I understand that supposedly one can have a dealership flash the computers to make a car recognize and accept a different gear ratio, but I live in the middle of nowhere, and to be honest I cannot afford to have it done, so I need to make sure the swap would be a basic plug and play. I can change the thing myself, I can swap the switches and possibly the line connections if i can locate the pieces, but the gear ratio is what scares me the most.

Has anyone here ever done a similar swap? I am completely alone in this job, as i cannot afford to hire help or pay someone to do this, and I simply cannot afford to buy a new trans. Any help or hints are appreciated, and yes I posted a similar thread in the trouble shooting area, so if that breaks rules i do apologize and will remove one of these. Please if any of y'all can help i will be forever appreciative to everyone here....

Old 10-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm pretty sure either of those would work fine for you. The gear ratios didn't change on Monte Carlos. A lot of that had to do with the other cars that also got the 4t65s, I don't believe any Monte Carlo besides the supercharged ones received a different gear ratio.