General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:50 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Red face Traction Control

I replaced plugs and wires today, looked like the originals that came with the car. It solved my misfire, and it returned traction contrl and ABS. My incredibly stupid question is this: Tranction control is not for on the hwy, correct? I mean unless if there is snow, and probably not even then...I just need to get a clue on this now that I suddenly have it. I'm guessing the owner's manual says someihing about it, I"m just exhausted. I also need an honest opinion on it, because what I remember reading doesn't say much about it other than how to make it work. Every time I start the car it resets to on...so that's why I"m confused. Thank you.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:41 AM

The purpose of traction control is to monitor how much the front wheels are slipping on acceleration and to reduce the power applied to the front wheels to regain traction when this situation occurs.

Generally, that will only occur with heavy throttle application from a stop or low speed start in slippery conditions. You're right that it likely wont engage at highway speeds as youd have to be accelerating very hard on an incredibly slick surface like ice (ie driving very dangerously anyways) to spin the tires at 65+ mph.

TBH, you shouldn't have to worry about it at all and just leave it on all the time like you would ABS. Activation of the system should be very rare. Further, activation of the system to the point that its preventing you from moving (ie you're extremely stuck in mud / snow) requiring disengagement of the system should be an almost nonexistent event.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-10-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:44 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thank you for explaining this to me! I'd gotten it into my head that I needed to turn it off on the highway and only use it for slick, side road contditions. (Like when my landlord plows and I've got to get over a litte berm to get out of his way so he can plow my drive, or when he hasn't been able to plow and I've got a few inches to deal with in order to get out to the hwy.)I even thought it sent more power to one front wheel if the other was spinning, lol.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Traction control can activate in a hydroplane situation at highway speed. But leaving it on at all times is advised anyway.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Steelbizkit
Traction control can activate in a hydroplane situation at highway speed. But leaving it on at all times is advised anyway.
Thank you!

Old 12-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steelbizkit
Traction control can activate in a hydroplane situation at highway speed.
Good point, forgot about that scenario.

Basically you've got to be doing something super stupid and way overdriving the limits of the car to get it to kick in at highway speeds.