Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Service traction control

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:36 AM
1 Year Member
Default Service traction control

My 2004 Monte Carlo's traction control system has been acting up lately.
First it started giving me the symbol in the msg center which also turns the trac off and ABS lights on in the dash. Now it's starting to act like i'm always spinning out on ice/snow etc from a dead stop and the odd time braking at a stop sign. Just yesterday I was leaving a stop sign pulling onto a main road and it started doing it, preventing me from getting out into the traffic flow. It was a sunny day with dry roads. It sounds like a compressor running under the hood when it goes off. When ever I think of it I try and run with the traction control off to see what it does and it has yet to do it with it off. It's not doing it all the time but is starting to do it more often.
My check engine light is on as well, so I got my buddy too plug his scanner in to see if it would tell me anything. All that's coming up is a emissions code which he thinks has something to do with the gas cap or sensor on the filler neck. He left it plugged in and we took to car for a drive to diagnose it. It was showing that everything was normal. While we drove, it did it leaving my driveway and the first stop sign. Nothing came up. It showed that all the speed sensors and ABS was fine. We tried pulling the fuse for the ABS/traction control which cut the power to the starter. Not sure what else to try.
The only thing i changed on the front end was both wheel bearings in May.

Has anybody had this problem and know of a fix for it?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bad hubs (wheel bearings) are the most common cause of the Traction Control/ABS problem. When you replaced them in May did you use a good quality replacement like Timken or SKF? Some of the less expensive off brand hubs are known to wear out quickly with the problem returning.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Also you may want to check the wireing etc.. for the speed sensors....rust corrosion...even connection..try useing some die electric lube...for better continuity...

I was haveing a similar issue with mine....I found that I had a crushed lead..(road debris) had to resplice the line and connector. (soldiered and shrink wrapped) and the problem disappeared...

Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bad hubs for sure

I have the EXACT problem you do lol... I also replaced my fronts a few months ago. But it's my rear ones that I have to change out now how can I tell? I jacked up the rear and checked for any play by moving the wheels up and down, side to side etc and sure enough there's play in one of them

Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM
1 Year Member

I've been driving the car the last 2 weeks with the trac off and it has not done it since.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gharris79
I've been driving the car the last 2 weeks with the trac off and it has not done it since.
There are sensors in the wheel hub assemblies, when your turn the traction control off, the car doesn't read from those sensors so the issue won't occur.

When you have the traction control on the car is reading from these sensors, and when one sensor all of a sudden is throwing the wrong reading, the car thinks the wheel is slipping and tries to turn the system on, since the tire isn't slipping, nothing happens, you get the service traction control system message.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Location: Garfield, New Jersey. But my Home will always be The Bronx

My Traction control, ABS and Brake lights have been on since I purchased the car. I think the 22s have something to do with it and I do need to do my brakes all around. I know my right front hub is bad and I need outer tie rods on both sides. But I had to get the computer wired correctly the get the right progam for it. It had a Buick Supercharged program so I had that done. Suspension and brakes are next on my list. Got big miles on her so its time. I just have a habit of putting $$$ out for the Wifemobile before YelloJAC. But my time is near.
Hub Bearings, Brakes and Sensors and you should be fine!