Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gas Station Pump Shuts Off When Pumping Gas

Old 11-16-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Gas Station Pump Shuts Off When Pumping Gas

When pumping gas, even when tank is at 1/4 tank, the stations fuel pump shuts off. This happens when the pump if full open. In order to fill the gas tank I have to press the lever down just a little bit. It didn't do this to my other car. I used to top off the tank a lot with my monte and I think that has something to do with it. Is there something that has to be replaced or did someone mess with something physical in the vehicle?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:10 AM
Question Does it happen at different Gas Stations, or just one ?

And 2day's MCF Gas Pump Lesson \

Another possibility? The gas could be backing up because of some kind of restriction in the evaporative emission control system (EVAP), which traps out gasoline vapours evaporating from the tank and keeps them from entering the atmosphere.
“If the vapours don’t get out fast enough and too much fuel is going in during filling, the fuel could back up,” says Willi Blum, a professor at the Automotive Business School of Canada at Georgian College in Barrie.
Or, if it always happens at the same gas station, the flow from the pump might be too fast – and again, the gas backs up and shuts off the nozzle,

If the gas is especially foamy, it could shut the pump off early, a problem with the EVAP is unlikely, although the system can be damaged if gasoline, rather than just vapour, gets in. This can happen if you keep filling your tank after it’s actually full, say to get the meter up to the next dollar.

“For a new vehicle with low mileage, it’s a little early to expect an EVAP issue,”
If the EVAC, designed for vapour, gets full of gasoline, you’ll likely have bigger problems than just frustration at the pumps.
“It has become severe enough in some cases to cause catalytic converter failures,”

Last edited by Space; 11-17-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

lol this happened to me yesterday, i had to click the damn thing like 10 times for it to continue pouring gas it would go for a second than stop . i was yelling at the pump ready to rip the **** nozzle off

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-17-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

The filler neck vent (evap) is either clogged or the tube kinked somewhere. Can vary depending on the speed of fuel flow from station to station. Mine does this too on occasion.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Ladybridgeport:

A lot of Gas stations have pumps that pump under different pressures...
Depending on what setting you use to fill your tank it can be a problem from time to time... as the fuel delivery system out of the actual pump handle can vary in which way the gasoline actually flows out of it.

Me personally..
I never use it at wide open I generally set it at the first step on the handle and let it fill from there... it generally flows more smoothly and not to mention it makes less disturbance during delivery into your gas tank.. Thus not causing it to repeatedly click off and having to restart it...

Did you also know that its actually better to get gas either during the early morning before the day heats up? Its also better to buy gas late in the evening when the day cools down Because your likely to get more gas and less fumes that develop in the tank under ground as it sits out in the hottest time of day... During the hottest part of the day while pumping gas you will get fumes with the fuel delivery thus getting less gas in your tank as it pumps. (Its a proven fact)

It may also be that your getting gas while theres many others at the gas station at the same time of the same priced gas.. ever notice that when others are also pumping gas that sometimes you feel or see the hose actually moving when others are clicking in those few extra pennys to get it full full?

A good example...
Is the Speedway Gas station there at 23 mile and I-94...That gas station always seems to be jamming with customers!
How do I know of this particular Gas Station you ask?
I too use to live in not only New Baltimore, But I too lived in Chesterfield TWP for over 10 yrs until 1999.. When I then moved downriver..for my job..

My suggestion...
Is to fill the tank via setting the handle to the 1st step and I believe your issue should be resolved..

Old 11-17-2014, 09:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Mine does this ALL the time. I fine that if I hold the pump in at an angle and just hold the lever down with my hand, it works. I can't get it to stay on with the auto pump to save my life.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Even set to the slowest setting, I still have an issue at some stations with it continually clicking off right away. It's getting past that initial half gallon to gallon manually and very slow before I can set it and let it fill automatically.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:16 AM

5 Year Member

Like Mike mentioned (Mamonte)
Sometimes you actually have to get it into a certain position before it will flow properly...

I have had vehicles in the past that I actually had to either insert it all the way in or move it out slightly to get it to flow smoothly til its full..

Ever notice just how the fuel flows out of the end of the nozzle? Maybe while filling a can for your mower or directly into the tank of one?
It kinda just sprays out hap hazardly... in all directions.. Unlike a garden hose that flows smoothly.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Even at first click on gas pump, it still shuts off. I have to barely let any gas through the nozzle and still every 20 seconds it shuts off.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ladybridgeport
Even at first click on gas pump, it still shuts off. I have to barely let any gas through the nozzle and still every 20 seconds it shuts off.
I would definitely try to vary the position of the handle in the tank.. you may then be able to use the step settings but may still have to hold the handle in that 1 position...

Is this true for all gas stations you go to or do you frequent 1 station in particular while this is happening?
Have you tried inverting the handle 180 degrees? (Using it upside down) Just a suggestion... Not recommended.. But it may help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Station Pump Shuts Off When Pumping Gas