General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

For Those Like Me Who Are On A Budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Well, I've got a little Gizmo (ScanguageII) that'll give me a reading of the the air intake temperature while I'm driving. I'll watch the readings when I leave work today and post the results. I'll be interesting to see the difference between outside air temps and intake air temps on a stock setup. Oh, and it's 91 degrees outside now, so there's no shortage of hot air available!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by JaxJim
Well, I've got a little Gizmo (ScanguageII) that'll give me a reading of the the air intake temperature while I'm driving. I'll watch the readings when I leave work today and post the results. I'll be interesting to see the difference between outside air temps and intake air temps on a stock setup. Oh, and it's 91 degrees outside now, so there's no shortage of hot air available!

I've been curious too, I never took IAT readings before I switched to the wizaid CAI

Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Oh My God, They killed Kenny !

Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 PM

I'll take some readings on the highway, and some in traffic, where I know I'll get a lot of heat soak. To be continued ...........

Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Your post was kinda misleading, that's why i suggested you move it to the Sale Section.
I thought you were the seller, i guess that's why the thread was renamed? i dont remember the title anyways now.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Your post was kinda misleading, that's why i suggested you move it to the Sale Section.
I thought you were the seller, i guess that's why the thread was renamed? i dont remember the title anyways now.

No, I was dumb enough to include a blatant swear word in the title. I need to read the rules.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 PM

How about $45 total delivered to your front door?
For that kind of money, you could've got a cheapy cone filter (like the one you got)- and flexible tubing from Home Depot, as well as some material to mount it/secure it in there- easily. Usually those cheapy cone filters seem to run $20-30; and your performance would be much better as a result.

Right now, you're shooting yourself in the foot IMO. Sure you've got a little more air filter surface area; and you've given it less restriction to air coming in- but then you added metal pipe to the intake (heat soaks)- and put the filter right in the middle of a hot engine bay. Sure it may be in front of the original intake's hole- but how much air really comes through that hole- especially if its not running at below ambient pressure (like it would be stock sucking through it)? Then compare that to the volume of air moving through your radiator via the fans (think about where that air goes- slams into the front of the engine, and is forced off to the sides and top of the engine bay- right into your filter. There is reason why OEM's are getting away from metal intake piping (and metal intake manifolds) and also haven't used underhood air induction in years.

While it isnt shielded, it does draw from the same place that the stock airbox did.
Disagree- nothing is forcing the filter to draw air from the cooler sources- and with the engine bay flooded with hot air blown through the radiator- you've got 50x the volume of air moving through that 200* radiator than you do through that tiny hole that's blocked by the headlight. People call them HAI's- and the only way to understand why is to scan your IAT's. Then you'll quickly see why any gains you may have had are now gone.

If you dont have the bread for all the mods you want, this is a phenomenal buy that can free up cash for other fun things.
Phenomenal buy? You could build your own FWI for the same price, maybe less- especially if you don't mind going with an off brand filter anyways.

Personally, if you're tight on money; I'd rather just buy a regular $10 replacement filter and leave it at that. Less install hassle, same performance, and you'd save $35 for gas or something.

Unfortunately, buying the enclosed version or adding piping (the filter is already very close to the spot where a pipe would go, and I wonder how much of an improvement in perf you would get restricting air plow thru a small tube like the stock box did) is the antithesis of ballin on a budget.
Honestly, do a search for what a FWI is and how to make one. You aren't making the air squeeze through a small tube- you use the same size tubing as stock to connect your filter in the fenderwell to your MAF. The tube size is the same throughout the system if you did it right.

The filter is a monster. Its at least twice the size of the opening that the stock box breathed thru. The best I could do was aim the filter directly at said opening with about a 1" space from the lip that restricts further movement.
Honestly, its not that large of a filter- I've got a 4" inlet, 9" long K&N on my monte, and I've seen people with even larger filters. Really, if you imagine cutting that cone filter apart and comparing it to the stock cone filter- I wouldn't think its more than 40-50% larger than the stock sized paper filter in terms of filter area.

One must also factor in that my car is an automatic two-ton front wheel drive, non supercharged V6. How much power improvement are you really gonna feel in a car like that?
Then one must also consider- if they're very tight on money, and need a new air filter- then why not just get an OEM replacement?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM

I did notice the title that this was named before, what was the swear word??

Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I did notice the title that this was named before, what was the swear word??
I was hoping someone would catch that!

Well, I was informed via PM that members (with an s! more than one!) were offended of my use of a slang word commonly attributed to someone who is flashy rich and/or a highly paid pro athlete.

Confused? So was I. Thank goodness they were good enough to include a link to urbandictionary. When you have the time, visit that informative site, enter in that certain B word, read the definitions they have, and let the lulz ensue.

Bumpin96monte, i dont know man. I havent noticed any power loss at all. I have noticed my 'masters sound better than they did with the OEM. I guess ill replace the metal pipe.

Doesnt K&N still use shielded, but not enclosed filters? Even for that big LS4? Doesnt seem like that would help the pressure or airflow prob. Then again Im a drunken monkey right now, so maybe it does.

Last edited by Snyderman; 08-20-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 AM

Intake air temp readings I promised (stock setup). Highway - outside air temp was about 86, Intake air reading was 92. In traffic much worse - outside temp 82 - intake air reading 100-110. Much of that increase is probably heat from the cars around me and the pavement, but how much I don't know. Max water temp 207, tranny 204.

Quick Reply: For Those Like Me Who Are On A Budget