General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Thinking about picking up a Monto SS few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Default RE: Thinking about picking up a Monto SS few questions

Wish I could say the same about the mileage. I love the new 06 3.9L engine too much and tend to use too much pedal, and in turn, lose mileage. But such is life,easy trade for 60 HP. I mean I came from an 03 LS with the 180 HP 3.4, and went to the 06 3.9L 242 hp or is it 242 ft-lbs and 240 hp? Either way, it's great. I mean sure the supercharger sounds neater, but come on, 240 horse Naturally Aspirated? GM hasn't come out with a car I like this much ever before, and it'll have to work hard to come out with something this good in the future! I still haven't figgured out why they aren't putting the 3.9 L in the 07's, but with rumors around going to RWD it could be they're waiting to design a good tranny for itthat'll mate up with the 3900's... the 3900's have DoD (Displacement on Demand) to improve mileage.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i would imagine that my little 3.8 supercharged has got the same horsepower as your 3.9 if not a little bit more...and i made amazing milage when i drove to michigan going about 85-95 mph the whole way we got 450 (maybe more..can't remember for sure)miles to the tank of gas and still had about 50 miles or more remaining on the tank after...i love my monte carlo...for power and for comfort and milage

Old 02-27-2007, 02:45 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The '06 2LT we rented to travel to the Monte Nats in Nsahville last june. We filled it once. I don't mean we filled it one time down and one time back. We filled it once for the entire trip. (a little over 5 hours one way for us)

This car has the 3.5 in it. But it was super nice. And it prompted me to want an '06 Monte.

I really hadn't heard of the 3.9 V6 in the '06 Montes before I owned one? I had test driven a V8 SS Monte that I loved. But the $30,000 price tag kept me away.

As for the power/torque of the 3.9, I really haven't tried mine out yet so I can't answer?

PS.
I am not trying to start a national debate here. We took my '06 in to have it looked at this morning. While walking through the show room the saleslady who located my LTZ spotted us and came over to talk. We were talking cars and she came out with, "I haven't heard of the Monte being killed off as a definate thing yet."

SO! Who knows????????

Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 PM

Hey, if theydisco it then great, my value just jumped waaaay up being the only YearMonte (other than the LTZ) with the 3.9L engine. Since they stopped the 3.9L for 07, as long as they don't come up with anything better (forsub-SS trims)than SWEEEEET. Sure I'd be upset for the sentimental value but anyone can see the Monte didn't turn out to be as good of a seller as some of the other models. With other 'performance' coupes coming out with either more power or RWD it's kind of in a very small niche market, not near the Camaro (and their standard Manual Tranny) and being FWD its miles away from a Corvette, and you can get decent looks with the same power/options with an Impala. (allthough I personally hate the Impala the more I see em)

I think if chevy could really re-invent themonte ( RWD, maybe a 3/4 door like the Mazda R-8, a supercharger option on all trim levels) and keep it in Nascar it would do great, but I think I heard Chevy Racing is going to the Impala for the Stock cars, so it doesn't really surprise that the MCline would be disco'd with the stock car nomature.

Again, and it's not that I don't love Montes, it just makes sense.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

getting back on topic.... j/k

the Monte is a great car. yes it has some common problems, but so do other cars. It is very reliable and this is my second MC ( i had a 97 previous to this).

to answer your questions, 99 was the last year of the 6th gen MC. '00 to '03 are pretty much the same. in '04 they came out with the supercharge SS.