General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:27 AM
Default Gas Smell

Hey guys, whats up? I'm new here. I'm 18, and I just bought my own first car about 2 days ago, the car I always wanted since I was 15. 1985 Monte Carlo SS

So heres a little background on it. I bought it for $3,400. It has a 350, Hooker Competition Headers with 2 1/2 inch exhaust, rebuilt 200R4 trans, Carter 4 barrel carb, and edelbrock intake, and some other upgraded things here and there. It runs really good, and I love it. But heres my concern..

Its parked in the garage, and it seems to always seems to smell like fuel in there. I'm a bit concerned, but wasn't sure if this is normal for an older car, especially with a carb vs fuel injected. Since this is my first car, I'm not much the mechanic, so i feel a bit overwhelmed here. I plan on workin on this baby as much as I can once I gain some experience, as I love working with my hands and fixing up things, and I want to take car of my Monte and treat it good, but since this is my first car, I haven't had much experience with engines or under the hood experience yet.

The previous owner never mentioned anything about a fuel leak. But who knows if he could be hiding something. HA.. Even though he was a very stand up guy. I still talk to him presently and ask him little things here and there about the car to. but anyways, I was thinking, it could either be a fuel leak, a messed up fuel pressure gauge, or maybe its just me, just flooding the engine when I start it up with pumping the accelerator. Since this is my very first time driving a car with a carb, I'm still getting used to it. So i hope maybe some of you can be of help, so I appreciate any input by you guys.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Default RE: Gas Smell

If I were you, I would visualy inspect the carb for leaking gaskets, check all the fittings and follow the fuel line all the way back. If you don't find anything obvious it's more than likely not a big deal. Does the car run good? Smoke at all? (Not you, the car)

Welcome to MCF!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Default RE: Gas Smell

Yeah it runs good, doesnt smoke. Ill give it a little check today and see if I find anything.

Oh and one more thing that is a hassle right now, but not bad or anything, is that the previous owner had the door handles shaved and installed the push buttons for it. But the solenoids are messed up, so until I get the solenoids replaced and have an alarm system installed with a wireless remote, I have to make sure the window is down when I go somewhere and park. lol ahh its annoying