General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

SS nose on a 85 LS 350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM

does the hood close? are those manifolds in the pics? hard to tell theyre kind of small.is it running the factory exhaust? did he buy a sticker or did it actually go through inspection? 3/4 cam is one of those old school sayings i never understood. actual specs would be nice and head casting numbers. you should post the video of it running too. does it have a console and floor shifter? are there any problems with the car that you should know about?(ie saggy headliner, leaky winshield, overheating issues) stuff like that? other than that seems ok. youre going to check it out in person and take it for a drive right? if you do make sure to look it over with a fine tooth comb. rust areas that weve discussed and make sure when you get there he starts it when its cold. look at the tranny fluid, oil, and antifreeze. you dont want the motor to be hot. you want to see if it smokes on a cold start, or under a load. any discolored fluids, or abnormally thick oil should be avoided. you dont want someone running a super heavy weight trying to hide any knocks, or ticks. dont put up with any silly **** with a seller where they wont let you drive the car, but theyll drive it for you. you want to know the thing runs right. like if you smash the brakes is it going to die on you, if the steering is ****ed up, or if you need to stay in the gas at lights to keep it running. someone who knows the cars not a bag of **** is going to let you drive it and get stupid with it(ie launch the car, and really run it through the gears.) oh yeah test all the lights, wipers, heater everything. when i was 18 my friend was obsessed with 70-73 camaros and i went with him to look at about 10 of them. had one stall on just normal driving that had no door panals, one that was ll bondo, and the one that he bought that would shock your shorts off when you turned on the wipers. didnt know it did that till driving it home. just be careful and thorough with your inspection of it.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Ok. What I'll do is ask him all those questions on top of what I've already asked. Also, the headliner is new with a new headlamp. All lights do work. The exhaust is a dual 2 and 1/2. There is a cat and magnaflow mufflers. It does have a floor shifter. The center console is not on but it is included. He re did it when he installed the new carpet after he did the floors and replaced the panels and had the quarters redone. He said no mechanical problems but it does need a radio and the carb to be tuned. I'll post the video later on tonight in about an hour or two.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 PM

This is what he said. And I'll get the video up soon. "Yes the hood closes fine. It is new. Yes regular exhaust manifolds. I'm not dealing with stupid *** leaky headers. The exhaust is brand new custom bent 2&1/2" true duals with stainless Magnaflow race mufflers. Yes it will pass Mass state inspection. It only has to pass a safety inspection. No emissions. I did not buy a sticker. It doesn't have a sticker now because I took it off the road to work on it and had to get new plates last year and never had it reinspected. No I don't have a block number. It is a chevy 350 engine prolly out of an 80's vehicle. The center console is there it is not installed because I had planned on installing a B&M slap shifter but never got around to it. Like I said before the headliner and the carpet are pretty new. The windshield seems fine. The door gaskets are new but don't seem to seal all that great. This is a 1984 vehicle. It is NOT NEW. It has some issues that I have already told you about and we are clear on. This was not a complete restoration. DO NOT THINK THIS CAR IS PERFECT. I'm being as honest as I can with the knowledge I have. The car is absolutely drivable as it sits. I just drove it the other day. It is safe. If you are looking for a perfect car, this is not it. Please don't be mistaken.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 PM

here is the video finally of it running. IMG_1726.mp4 video by emnasty600 - Photobucket

Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM

couldnt get the video to work. anyways good luck with the purchase like the guy said its not a perfect car, but we already new that. take it for a ride, look it over, and from there decide what you want to do. worst case you buy it, its a dud, you strip it, and make your money back on it. keep us posted.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 05-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks man. Well actually worst case scenario I bring it back to him and get my money back. In mass the lemon law applies to private sellers as well. I'm not gonna sign the bill of sale unless I make sure it doesn't say as is. Also. What should I make for a first offer? I want to come up with a couple of excuses.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think your not gonna buy this because that guy is not going to warranty this car for you. It is up to the buyer to inspect all he wants in my opinion before buying and if it blows up on the way home, it's yours. Thats just the way I deal and most people I know. Good Luck.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM

The plan is as of now, from what ive seen and heard, I am going to buy it. But this man is leaving for a trip this friday and I'm trying to come up with some things to low ball him to 2500, I'm not very good at haggling so what I feel like saying, "The car is still in need of work, the carburetor needs some tuning, maybe a rebuild rather than a tune up and thats about 300 at the shop near my house, I need to install a radio which wil be about another 100 minimum, and I'm going to be responsible for transporting the vehicle, its going to be at least 60 for a trailer rental plus tax and I'm going to make a trip that is at least 80 in gas, How about 2500 and I'll just come and pick it up? "

Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't get into all that, just offer him $2500 and see what he says. Then maybe bring it up if he says no. All he can say is NO.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Alright, I plan on bringing it cash. Once he sees 25 hundred dollar bills i think he'll soften up. I'm going to try and act not excited and impressed with the car but we'll see.

Quick Reply: SS nose on a 85 LS 350?