General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

SS nose on a 85 LS 350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The second one doesn't look too bad either. Just looks like it may have been ran a bit harder for some reason. Whats with the fog lights n the first one. I wouldn't damage my bumper cover to put those ugly things on. Definately the dash is cracked and needs new carpet. Again this isnt a new car and if it runs as good as they say and has that work done to it, I would lean more to that one over the true SS. BUT REMEMBER, its gonna cost you more money to get that front end changed. I would probably jsut buy an SS if I were you. Depending on your rush to be a Monte Owner, Its all up to you anyways, We are just opiniated peeps.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 PM

the thing is, almost most of not all monte ss i can afford are the ones with the 305 and 200r tranny, this one is all set. 350 crate, headers, true dual exhuast, and mufflers. so the powertrain is all set i dont have to swap it out, theres no rust on the car so I'm good on that. so the only thing left to get it to what i want it to be is to change the nose.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 PM

You think its better off to wait for a true SS? Its gonna be pricy if it comes with anything other than the 305/200r.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 AM

the heater core issue i said because the engine bay pic that you posted has the hose routed off. the big pink hose coming from the fire wall on the left hand side. not hard to do theres a how to in the 4 gen section, i believe autozone has an exploded instructional on there site.
on the nose swap there are lots of companies that make them for varying prices. like this.Monte Carlo, Nose Conversion, Air Deflector, Front Spoiler El Camino, Monte Carlo, Regal, Cutlass, Malibu, Hurst Olds, Grand National
you dont have to go with them as there are others choochoo customs and a bunch of other fiberglass companies. im sure the bigger name companies would have an exploded instructional diagram.
like i said im more of a mechanical guy so id rather do a drivetrain swap then a ton of body work. mechanical is just removal and install of bolts for the most part, body work is tough. on my 80 i didn't know anything when i bought it 12 years ago i just bought it because it had a 400 in it. over the years i wound up buying all the body panels, interior parts, switching rears, trannys, and doing a motor build. all because of an uneducated decision. for what i have into the car i could have a fleet of ls1 cars. just because the car has a 350 in it doesnt mean its not a 170hp smogger.
i said you might want to ask what heads/cam are in it, and for a block number to ensure its a 350. externally all the small blocks look pretty much the same. so for all we know it could be a 305.
to me a mild cam is anything under 550 lift 305 duration with a flat tappet. some people would say thats not mild at all.
you want it to have the "big valve" heads. 2.02 1.60 valves if its going to make power. if its running small valves 1.94 1.50, or smaller youre going to wind up buying heads for it(that is if you really want it to perform).
on making offers. you should bring a friend, and tell your buddy to hold a good piece of the cash. offer him 1600 cash, if he says no ask him the lowest he'll go. then low ball him again like 1800. if he doesn't go for it again tell him all you have is 2000. if he wont budge pretend to borrow some cash from your friend and offer him 2200. i personally wouldn't give him the 2200 just because i'm a haggler. ive offered people insulting prices for there cars to have them say never! and then had them call me a couple of weeks later when they cant get rid of the car. at that point ive low balled them again to punish them for wasting my time. most people ask a fair bit more than what they expect to get knowing that they're going to have to haggle. at the end of the day the car is only worth what you're willing to pay for it. a lot of people wont agree with me here, but the monte carlo ss isn't, and never was a muscle car so it has no right to demand a high price. Gbody ones are readily available they built millions of them so they're easy to find, and far from valuable.
anyway you just want to make sure you make an educated decision, and not one out of impulse like i did. sorry for the long post. good luck, and let us know what you get.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 PM

5 Year Member

Great response. Its all on you now Nasty. Keep us posted.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:27 PM

5 Year Member

Dont know how far you are from this one but its only 1 day left.
Chevrolet : Monte Carlo | eBay

Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 PM

My friend who's brother is a mechanic saw this and recomended i go take a peak since its good. I contacted the guy and he even sent me a video of the car running and going into different gears driving. hers the link to the pictures

Pictures by emnasty600 - Photobucket

also here is the link to the ad. 1984 Monte Carlo SS 350

I'm feeling confident about this car. What do you guys think? I'm guessing its going to need a new breather, a radio, he said the carb runs good but needs tuning. Its his daily car right now from what he says. Its inspected until the end of this year and is currently registered and such. With that work in mind I might offer him 2600 or 2700 cash, hes asking 3000.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 AM

definitely low ball him.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 AM

5 Year Member

offer 25 first of all. Body looks good.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:44 AM

But what do you guys think of the vehicle as a buy?

Quick Reply: SS nose on a 85 LS 350?