General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

SilverStar Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Default SilverStar Bulbs

Anyone have them? Are they worth the money? or should I get HID's?
I find that my low beams are great, but the high beams suck, and the fog lights seem pretty much useless. I'm looking for a lighting upgrade since it's coming on winter and I'll be driving in the dark pretty much all the time.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Default RE: SilverStar Bulbs

best bulbs i've found are phillips 'high visibility', i know napa also repackages them as 'brite lites'. basicly, they are the brightest lights i've found in the 9006 and 9005 varieties.

so why not silverstars? look at the bulb, theres a blue tint. common sense tells me that either a blue tinted bulb will either put out less light, or else it would have to be brighter to start with to make up for the loss the tint would cause.

and of all the colors, its blue... yea it makes it look more white sure.... but think what color high visibility, or high contrast glassses/ sunglasses/ goggles are, theyre either yellow or amber, or orange... something along those lines. the light from stock and untinted bulbs put out that color, blue tint makes it look more white.

the way i see it, running a lightly tinted blue bulb would be the same as if you ran a clear bulb, and wore lightly tinted blue sunglasses at night

Old 09-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had the SilverStar's in my grand am. The 9000 series in the headlights worked great and lasted years.However the foglights in the G.A. took the 880 bulbs just like our Monte's. The 880ST SilverStar's burned out quickly. They would burn out after two months.Standard bulbs were fine and lasted a long time. I'm thinking of trying the 880ST SilverStar's in my Monte. I definitely am changing the standardlow and high beam bulbs to SilverStar's this week.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:43 PM

HID's are illegal in alot of states but they are the brightest so its mostly your call

Old 09-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen people mod their factory headlamp assemblies to accept HID bulbs. Some were done properly and had no problems. However a lot weren't done right, and had major problems. Like the assembly melting from the heat of a bulb that it wasn't designed for. And not being able to aim the headlights to their proper alignment. I know of people who spent upto $5000 US to convert theirfactory halogen headlights to HID. And those were pontiac grand am's.

I went with SilverStar halogen bulbs instead. Look good, cheaper, and no melted lenses.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-15-2007, 07:17 PM

i got the euro style headlight lenses and cool blue bulbs BRIGHT AS HELL

Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

And not being able to aim the headlights to their proper alignment.

You don't live near me do you? Cause it sure seems a lot of ya-hoos around here have no clue their headlight is aimed right at my eyes.

I know I was the brightest bulb I can afford in my daily drivers. I'm tired of the jerks who can't seem to figure out how to turn their brights down driving towards me. All I have now is the standard 9004 bulbs. But my driving lights are hard wired so they're on all the time. So when my brights are on the driving lights add to them.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i remember around here just before i got my license these big 4 wheel drive trucks went thru a fad for about a year of mounting a bunch of bright bulbs on the top of their trucks. they then aimed them a little to the left. at the point about 40 ft from you, they would turn off their headlights nad hit you with those. i swore i'd get a Boeing 747 landing light and aim to the left, but hte fad died before i started driving.