General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

WINTER - What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default WINTER - What do you do?

I live in Michigan. Typically, we only get may be two or three good snowfalls, but they do throw the SALT! My car is like glass, so the salt probably will not touch my paint. HOWEVER, the underbody...

Everybody at work is giving me a hard time about me freaking out about the thought of salt. I don't think I will be able to buy a winter beater this year -- 1 kid in college, the other in high school and wanting a car for herself, along with a trip to Disney with the Marching Band, a Varsity Jacket, Class Ring, and list goes on...

How do you guys handle the winter? Do you wash your car daily? Do you have problems with your doors icing up?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Default RE: WINTER - What do you do?

after a snowfall here in CT when the roads are salted... usually I'd take it to a DIY car wash and get the underside good and cleaned with the powerwash wand...

But now that I bought my own power washer this past spring - I can do it at home... ;-)

haven't had any problems with anything icing up on the Monte...

Old 09-17-2007, 03:15 PM

You will be safe, Just take it to a drive thru carwash to clean the underbody. That is what I do with my LTZ
The primers paint ect (not toe mention the metal)that is used on cars today is way better then 20 years ago

Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This coming winter will be my first with the Monte. But when ever I washed my grand am during winter weather, the weatherstripping on the doors would freeze to the body. But the top of the doors curved into the roof line, so the water naturally settled in the channel between the door and the body. I'm hoping that since the Montes aren't designed that way, freezing won't be a big problem.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 PM

3 of my friends work at a local car wash so with the rims off i take it there and lets just say i pay a lower price for twice as much workand i get them to use a pressure washer on the bottom of the car real good to get every thing off.

aslo if i dont have to drive and can get a ride in the winter my car will stay in the garage.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:53 PM

since my car was origionally from myrtle beach it was coated from the factory with a protective layer underneath cos of all the salt down there so im protected underneath, and i kept my factory wheels ill roll on those when the bad weather hits, and for the rest i just put massive layers of wax on it and im straight

Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM

thank god they only use sand here

Old 09-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i was my car about once a week, that keeps it clean enough that it keeps the salt off it mostly...and i get a lot of snow up here...the car drives great in the snow and has heated seats so i love it, but just wash it once a week or so and you should be good, your not going to be able to keep a black car looking clean for long in the winter

Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 AM

This is why I purchased the SUV - towing and winter. I would really look for some kind of winter beater... maybe the Beast from Uncle Buck?

Quick Reply: WINTER - What do you do?