General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): In serious need of a grille

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Well I have looked into having one of these made. My friend owns a water jetting company. Says he could do most everything out of aluminum. But then thinks the perimeter would need some CNC work done to it to soften it up or "ease" the edge. He wants $120 a copy if I do a dozen or less, plus CNC work (no quote for this phase). That includes the aluminum and setup and running them. And then for me to make a profit doing these I bet we may be looking at $225 to $250 a copy. I think most people would balk at this number so I essentially dropped it. If I could get about 6 people to commit at this price then I would re-approach him for these.

I have a brand new in the box one and took it to him for his examination and assessment. It is one of only 2 that I know exists, Mac having the other.
I won't sell this one as I want it to be available as a replacement should I ever have the front end badly damaged.

The photo shows the edge detail I speak of. Plus the diamond grid is angular, just a lot of work to fabricate one of these. The initial angled perimeter would be water jetted. It would then have to also be slightly bent to the contour of the car by the installer, which seems plausible. Anyone have any input?
Can you find someone to 3D model it? If someone can get one 3D modeled it can be easily printed on a big enough 3D printer

Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM

Ok so im willing to do some modeling design and work on this and no takers on a simple outline?? lol....ok no problem ill find another option
thanks

Old 06-21-2018, 01:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't want to remove mine just for a template. Sorry!

Old 06-21-2018, 02:23 PM

wouldn't even need removed.....trace the front of it is all im asking...lol...ill get it figured out
watch ebay soon..not sure how soon. I bet some neat homemade grills show up...just saying.
thanks for the help.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by 200dollarmonte
wouldn't even need removed.....trace the front of it is all im asking...lol...ill get it figured out
watch ebay soon..not sure how soon. I bet some neat homemade grills show up...just saying.
thanks for the help.
If someone/anyone is willing to attempt to recreate even a "knock off" (no disrespect intended at all) grill for these cars I applaud the effort and ask anyone with access to a grill/template to please assist. I know I would like to be at the front of the line if anyone comes up with a homemade solution... $$$ in hand!!!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 200dollarmonte
thanks for the help.
Hey, it is not a problem getting you a tracing of the grille. I was just commenting on my efforts and the potential cost to have them made. I will for sure make one for you, nothing to me. I would love to help any member here in any way I can. I will trace it Sunday evening and get it into the mail to you. What configurations, profiles do you need? Paper or cardboard? I can send it Flat rate USPS Priority. SEND ME $8 I can probably get it into the Small box and not have to use the medium one which is $14.

My PAYPAL is "FAST02MONTE@YAHOO.COM"

I would be all for anyone getting this done, many people seem to want them. I like your tenacity, if you can make up a grille that makes you happy that would be fantastic!

Let me know...

Old 06-21-2018, 11:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Keudn
Can you find someone to 3D model it? If someone can get one 3D modeled it can be easily printed on a big enough 3D printer
Hi, see that is the thing, I kept striking out at trying to get one 3D printed. Never looked at getting one modeled. Seems like it was to large for most anyones 3D printer. I have a friend with a Water Jet and he can do most anything with that. I thought an aluminum one would be pretty trick, perhaps more durable than the ABS plastic ones. Give me a few days to look into the modeling opportunities around here in Utah and I will see what I can come up with. Thanks for the idea...

Old 06-22-2018, 07:25 AM

Hey thanks guys. I think I may just go this route. I have to trim the bottom more rounded. material is on the way to start fabbing them. I don't think will hard to fab them. I think I should have enough material to do 4. We'll see though. They should come out decent. The main thing is the frame I want to be body color if I end up happy with the result and feel someone else would like it so im trying to figure out a method that they could paint the frame themselves and assemble it but would be better if it was ready to stick on. the frame material will be black ABS plastic and aluminum diamond pattern grill material. I feel since it is merely a stick on cover so to speak rigidity isn't that much a concern as that 3m tape is very stout...lol.... so I feel abs framing will be fine but that's just my opinion.
Thanks

hanks again

Last edited by 200dollarmonte; 06-22-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:32 AM

And that bottom grid I believe will be cut out and add the mesh screen....not sure yet on that tho...lol...the car undoubtedly has had a rough life just trying to give it some lovin due to price and being a solid car mechanically

Old 06-23-2018, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hi, see that is the thing, I kept striking out at trying to get one 3D printed. Never looked at getting one modeled. Seems like it was to large for most anyones 3D printer. I have a friend with a Water Jet and he can do most anything with that. I thought an aluminum one would be pretty trick, perhaps more durable than the ABS plastic ones. Give me a few days to look into the modeling opportunities around here in Utah and I will see what I can come up with. Thanks for the idea...
How long and wide is it? If someone can either get me a model or one to model myself im sure I can find a way to print it