General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): In serious need of a grille

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Can you come up with any kind of estimate? Say if someone found a grille for you to borrow, can you ballpark 1 or several??
Well after I model it (assuming I'm able to, I have a couple ME friends if I struggle with it) it isn't much work at all to print a handful. The Objet is a resin printer and has fantastic resolution, the problem being that the print material alone for one grille would be roughly ~$500 on its own. Not really a realistic solution lol. I would have to use one of the filament printers which would cost like $5 in materials. I don't really know how much it would cost until I actually had the model done, but I think a reasonable estimate would be ~$50. I also don't know how well it will fit on the print bed, if someone had a quick dimension they could give me I could tell you if I even have a printer with a large enough bed. The biggest print bed I have access to is 280mm

Another thing to keep in mind is they will be printed in PLA, which will take some work to make the paint look like part of the car. I honestly have never painted a PLA print before so I don't really know how it would turn out.

Last edited by Keudn; 07-25-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 PM

I've got an extra one in the garage I purchased as a spare but I'm def not giving it up. I could provide some dimensions if you all like. A tracing too? Not sure how helpful this would be tho.

One extra part I was never able to get my hands on was the lower grille, I hope it comes off nicely when I decide to repaint the car.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mac7504
I've got an extra one in the garage I purchased as a spare but I'm def not giving it up. I could provide some dimensions if you all like. A tracing too? Not sure how helpful this would be tho.

One extra part I was never able to get my hands on was the lower grille, I hope it comes off nicely when I decide to repaint the car.
Its the width dimension I'm worried about if you could measure that for me. I can only print up to 11" and im thinking the grille is longer than that. I might be able to fit it diagonally but I need to know its width and height. If you can get those for me I can see if it will even fit.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn
Its the width dimension I'm worried about if you could measure that for me. I can only print up to 11" and im thinking the grille is longer than that. I might be able to fit it diagonally but I need to know its width and height. If you can get those for me I can see if it will even fit.
I bet you could do a half and half print and make it look virtually seamless..

IDK, if any progress is made on this please let me know.. Id surely be interested.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I bet you could do a half and half print and make it look virtually seamless..

IDK, if any progress is made on this please let me know.. Id surely be interested.
Possibly, depends how you mount the grille which I am not familiar with.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Length wise, I'm sure it's longer than 11''. I'll give you some specs tonight.

Possibly, depends how you mount the grille which I am not familiar with.
I believe the grille is mounted with simple 3m double sided tape under a small lip. I'll provide pictures.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM

Length wise, I'm sure it's longer than 11''. I'll give you some specs tonight.

I believe the grille is mounted with simple 3m double sided tape under a small lip. I'll provide pictures.
Awesome, I'm sure its over 11" as well. Since the bed is 11" square I can fit roughly 15" diagonally but I'd need the exact length and width. And if its mounted with tape I think printing two pieces and mounting them carefully to line up would work fine

Old 07-27-2017, 12:52 PM

Crap, I forgot to check last night. Putting a post-it on my phone to remind me now.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:18 PM

I measured and it appears it will not fit in your printer. Measures 24.5 inches long and 4.25 inches wide in the middle section (widest point).

I'll post pictures later

Old 07-29-2017, 11:17 AM

I measured and it appears it will not fit in your printer. Measures 24.5 inches long and 4.25 inches wide in the middle section (widest point).

I'll post pictures later
Okay, so the only option is going to be to print it in two pieces. Should be doable and look fine since its mounted with the tape. I'll still need one to model it though

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): In serious need of a grille