General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Security Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Security Light Question

Hi guys,
My security light is being strange. It's never on when I start the car. Sometimes I can drive 10 or 15 miles before it comes on. Other times, I just move it a couple of feet and it comes on. The driveway to my job has a couple of sewer drains. If I remembrance to avoid them, it comes on as I am going down the road. If I hit one, it come on right then.
So I thought it was the BCM reacting to the old suspension. Now that the suspension has been replaced and the broken speed sensor wire has been fixed, I thought the light would stay off. NOT! I have also replaced the key and done the relearn. It starts every time. I also still have the Traction and ABS lights on, Brake light is off. I haven't had time time check the 3 hub assemblies that I haven't replaced.
I know the BCM is part of that system. What else could be causing this pain in the butt light to come on randomly? And where can I find and test these modules? I would like to Fix it without spending $$$. I would like to save for a Triple Edge Trans. But I'll do what needs to be done!
Thanks for the help!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Being intermittent and movement as the trigger I'd focus on the key/tumbler assembly. It 'reads' resistance from the key and if that reading is not correct (or fluctuates) it will set the security light. If you have a lot of keys or weighted objects on your keychain remove them.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

03SSLS,
Thanks for the response. I will remove The Key from my keys before I start the car tomorrow. Although I don't have a lot of weight on it, the ignition cylinder my be that sensitive now due to the Old Suspension and the Old 22s that combined to shake, rattle and roll a lot of things in the car to Senselessnes!
If there are any other suggestions please feel free to add them. I'm fairly good with the mechanics and although I'm not afraid of the Electronics, sometimes they can be Very Illogical. And i thank allof MCF for being here to share your Brains!