Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Security Light Question

Old 03-17-2009, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Security Light Question

Hey guys, for a long time my MC's "Security" light is on in the dash..I dont get what its for...I dont have an alarm, but when I lock my car, it cherps....i have the blinking light on my dash next to my headlight switch and on my radio...I dun get it =[

Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

It's your Passlock system. If the wrong key is used or someone tries to hotwire the car, it disables the fuel and it can't be started. If the light is on while you're driving, it's not working properly.
Do a search here and on the internet for Passlock.

The radio works lots of stuff on your car. The blinking light indicates that the radio is armed. If you disconnect your battery with your radio armed it can lock the radio and render it useless and depending on which one you have, you may need to go to GM and have a Tech2 hooked up to it to get the code. If someone steals your radio, they end up with a paperweight because without the vin#, it's useless to get the code for it. You can do a search on it too. I can't remember the name of it, just look at your radio, it says. It also discusses this in the Hayne's manual and owners manual.

Last edited by dustybird3; 03-17-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 PM

Cool, thanks man...how can i fix it? Would i be able to take it to a GM dealer and get it fixed for free or something? Or do i have to take it back to the place where i bought it?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I'm not real sure if changing the Passlock/ignition cylinder will do it or if it's in the computer. GM can fix it but it won't be free unless it's still under warranty then it might be.

I had a Passlock issue but mine was the no start problem, it wasn't recognizing my key and then my light starting coming on at various other times while driving. Mine was fixed with a new Passlock/ig. cylinder. Had a GM tech friend change it out here at the house for me.

If you are comfortable changing it yourself, you can buy the part (get it tumbled to fit your key) for less than $200. I paid my friend $325 for parts/labor but if it had been the computer it would have been considerably more I'm sure.

If yours is starting fine, then it might be in the computer. I'm not sure what else is involved in the Passlock, I know it sends a signal from the ignition to the computer to make sure it's a valid key and from there either allows or doesn't allow the fuel to the injectors.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 PM

Yeah it starts fine and everything, its just so damn annoying