General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Revised Mod plan for N/A 3800

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:14 PM

I use 87 octane on my zzp pcm and it runs just fine. I did help my car performance-wise some and made it funner to drive. My shift points only went from 5800 to 6000 and having it shift firmer i don't think will hurt your tranny. I've got 127,000 miles on my car and i've run it hard and have had no problems up to this point. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 AM

What year and model are your car? How many miles have you used the re-tuned PCM for? Can you feel the difference in daily driving? What's the expected HP and torque increase numbers? I really am considering it now...thanks.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

true, i was gonna say something about the tune and all but yeah you would have to bump up to higher burnin gasoline. but the rest of your ideas sound really good. make sure ya tell us how it goes =D

Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 PM

It's a 2001 monte ss with a 3.8. i've had the pcm in it for about 15,000 miles. I think the increase is around 8-10 hp, depending on your mods and i would say about the same number with torque increase as well. My favorite things about the pcm are the 4th to 2nd kick down, really helps passing on the highway and the firmer shifts, so yea i can definetely feel a difference, couldn't imagine driving without it. Didn't really hurt my fuel mileage either.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay let's start on this thread :P

First, if you are doing the coated crossover, ported rear, powerlog, AND downpipe... get headers. Because that's basically what you are building. No there isn't the losses you have read about, just find SSAC Headers for your car for like $300 and be done.

If you don't want headers, the crossover / rear manifold isn't worth it. You aren't boosting and you aren't really doing heavy modifications to require those 2 things. Just the powerlog and downpipe will be plenty. The Wiz-aired will keep your IATs down so you don't have to ceramic coat your crossover (plus it's a HUGE pain to undo the rear crossover bolts)

And your stock plugs will be fine.

Revised List:
Wizair CAI
Powerlog
Downpipe
ER Rocker Arms
HV3 Insert
ZZP or Thrasher Shift kit - 0HP (just for more fun driving)

Honestly I still don't think the shift kit is worth it, I'd rather the tune do some pressure lines and shifting speed changes.

Did you see the video I posted on my 20-90 MPH run? I'll repost it if you didn't, and my mod list includes: CAI, Plog, HV3, ER Rockers, Downpipe, and the custom tune.

I did the tune last, because that's what you are supposed to do, and let me tell you IT'S NECESSARY. You can tune a car to run on 87 Octane if you want, you just can't increase the timing on 87 octane as much as 93 (which is what I now run because I'm tuned for it) Before the tune, my car sucked to drive after those mods. The PCM at stock just doesn't know what to do with all of that air properly. So you really really should get the tune if you want to unleash your mods.

Any other questions, because you are currently doing my build :P

Also for fun, When I drove from the Poconos back to Philadelphia (which was highway driving + city driving + a few high speed Revs showing an S2000 that it sucked) I got 31.56 MPG, before the tune I got WORSE gas mileage... so tuning and using the expensive gas is equalling out to not tuning... and you get all the power that comes with.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM

Revised List:
Wizair CAI
Powerlog
Downpipe
ER Rocker Arms
HV3 Insert
ZZP or Thrasher Shift kit - 0HP (just for more fun driving)
Now that's a list that I can endorse.

Should make your car alot more fun.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 PM

15 Year Member

Let me also add a little bit of information to what I've been saying.

After all this work was done to my car, my Father (previous owner) took the car for a test drive. He was VERY impressed with the car. He said it no longer has trouble keeping the speeds like it used to, loves the fact that my 2nd gear can pull to 70 easily, and just feels very tight and well done. He said it was a good job done, and though it's not crazy fast, it's a perfect tight situation driver and daily driver engine.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:05 AM

So forget about the rear manifold and coated crossover pipe huh? That's good, I'll cut costs where I can if they're going to be unnecessary. All I really want to know, is am I doing any further damage to my car by adding these modifications? That's one big reason I want to stick N/A, for life of the vehicle. Next, I'd like to know what you think the total added HP to your car was after doing all those modifications. I'd like to shoot for a 30HP boost altogether, just wondering if that's doable. And lastly, the PCM tune, I guess I will be doing that since it really does complete the rest of the mods, unleashes them and all, but can I just get the custom PCM from zzp or 3800performance, that chip for $99? Thank you for your advice and corrections.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM

15 Year Member

I don't have dyno sheets of any before and after, but the car pulls pretty nicely now.

As for the life of the car, it all depends on how you drive it and maintain it. Every modification that you plan on doing is all about getting air to flow better in and flow better out. That won't harm anything. However when you add power, you may add recklessness to your driving style. If you find yourself doing what I have done in the video a lot, you will be putting stress and strain on mechanical parts which will harm them. But in short, if you are easy on it you won't be sacrificing any of its longevity.

For the tune, a custom street tune is going to be the best. It dials your car in PERFECTLY and you can be as picky as you want and it's cheaper sometimes if you can find someone local who tunes 3800 engines. My tune is a full custom and cost me $75.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 PM

$75 for a custom tune? I'll take that over the swapped out PCM any day. Thanks for the video, really lets me know what my car will some day be capable of. I think the first mod I'll be doing will be the CAI, seems practical as everyone says the exhaust system on these cars isn't restrictive, downpipe will be second, powerlog 3rd, then I'll see where to go from there. Also, thanks for the video and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Revised Mod plan for N/A 3800