General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Remote start question

Hi Guys, do all 6Gen's have the same remote start/ keyless entry system? Mine works to start the car. Fine. But it will not lock/unlock the doors or pop the truck even though the remote tells me it did. I think it was something I did But I can't for the life of me figure it out. I got the owners manual for the eclipse remote But that tells me nothing. And with all the other things I've been having to take care of in the car I haven't had time to even find were the remote is located. If anyone can help I would Really appreciate it. The originally came from Texas.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

6th gens have no remote start from the factory. Just lock/unlock, trunk and panic. But I believe all the systems were the same from 00-05

Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

Well I think I did something to it. Shut it off or something. When my MAS was bad the car would nit remote start. So I messed with the button on the remote sensor on the windshield behind the rear view Mirror. It Really sucks that I can't remotely lock/un-lock the doors or pop the trunk. It is a secondary system I think caeuse the alarm cause the alarm is different. If I open the trunk with the alarm system off, the Horn beeps. But if I do it with the alarm on a siren goes off. Taking any ideas Stygian point!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The horn going off when opening the trunk is part of the factory system. The siren is part of the aftermarket system.

To reprogram your remotes:

Turn key to ON position.

Press the Valet switch 5 times within 10 seconds. A long siren chirp indicates you are in programming mode.

Immediately press the large button on each remote to be programmed. A chirp should be heard when you press the button to confirm it was recognized.

Turn the ignition switch OFF. a long chirp should be heard to verify you have exited programming mode.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member

How does that work with an Excalibur 5 button remote? Sorry I am so Nieve with this. I have never had to install repair or reprogram an aftermarket remote!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You will have to find the install information for your aftermarket remote start. You're best bet is finding the control module (most of those are installed under the dash). Once you have the information, you should be able to tie the extra features (like keyless entry) of the aftermarket system to the car. If it does not have manufacturer or model info, it should have an FCC ID. If you google search, there used to be sites that let you plug in an FCC ID and give you helpful information back.

My wife's 05 Impala had factory keyless entry, I added an aftermarket remote start with keyless entry so she only needed one fob. I'm going to eventually do the same with my Grand Am GT (remote start would be nice in that car).

Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks Jason, I've only took the dash apart once. That was to replace the headlight switch and properly wire the stereo when I first got the car. But I need to do it again. There are loose or missing averts on the left side. So when I hit a bump that side of the dash rattles and shakes and gives me a headache. Anyways, Thanks for the heads up. Now I know there is so.place on line where I can find the info I need.