Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Default remote start question

i got it hooked a couple weeks back. i noticed once that the airbag light came on. i turned the car off and started it again manually, turned off. and twice this past week the cruise light came on. anyone have an idea why it does this? it only does so when she is started remotely

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Had a remote starter on my 2000 sebring and had no problems till one winter morn started the car drove 90 minutes to milwaukee turn the car off went in my shop,,, five minutes later I heard the blaring of a car horn look and my dash board and convertable top were a huge fire ball......remote soliniod had stuck open and over heated...I thank God it didnt flame up on the road and it led me to the Monte....No more remotes for me....I'll just brave the cold and manually start.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 PM

It's pretty rare that fireballs blow up your car from an electric starter... I'm in icy cold Minnesota and ALL of my cars have had starters over the past few years. I actually took the one off of my 2002 LS Monte and put it in my 2004 SS S/C Monte cuz it was such a great starter. I haven't even changed the batteries in the remote for almost 5 years! The other starters I have have been wonderful and have mostly been installed by one technician who REALLY knows his stuff.
If ever an issue comes up, try disconnecting the batter for 5 minutes and let the computer reset itself. If it KEEPS happening then it's wired wrong. The only issue I've had is with my Mustang's car starter/security system, it's wired incorrectly and needs to be adjusted. Just BE careful to who you bring it too, they need to know their stuff. Ive heard worse issues with workers at Best Buy incorrectly hooking up a stereo and frying the whole car's circuitry!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the FACTORY installed remote start on my 06...works awesome!

I don't really have the best of feelings about aftermarket remote starts, or alarms for that matter. I just don't trust the Monkey's that seem to install that stuff. I personally have not had good luck with aftermarket electronics, on more than one car.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 AM

wow, i wish i would have came here before i got it installed. just today the cruise like came on and stayed on for a good 5 minutes before i hit the freeway. i'm going to try and take it in tomorrow and see what the flip is going on

Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

These cars are very picky with these, unless they are installed 100% correctly.

Be glad your passlock system didn't lock you out.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 AM

That's weird. My car has had one installed before we got it, and we've never really had any problems with it other than it not cranking the car long enough to start it on rare occasions. Hope you are able to get your problem fixed.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:20 PM

thanks islander. i'm supposed to take it in tomorrow.

haha, chibi, before with my old remote before i "updated" to the remote start it would lock me out. i would be stuck for like 5-10 minutes pushing the button. granted the remote was pretty banged up

Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 PM

I just don't trust the Monkey's that seem to install that stuff. I personally have not had good luck with aftermarket electronics, on more than one car.
Having worked in car audio for 3-4 years back in college and late high school, I can say that is the biggest problem. I know Circuit City didn't require their installers to have any sort of certification outside of their own internal training - but even then you were kinda at the hands of the car audio manager or lead installer (ie if they are a hack, then its likely you will be too).

The fire problem has nothing to do with the remote start, and everything to do with installer error. Sure stuff breaks, that's life- but if the installer had done the job properly, it wouldn't have been an issue (ie fusing the proper wires).

The bad thing is experience doesn't necessarily mean they're good at doing it either, so its hard to find someone you can trust.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 PM

the beat shop i go to has some pretty cool guys there. but i see what your saying. sometimes people got that "fudge it" attitude. never had problems with my beat shop, i'm just hoping something was accidently wired up wrong. just now as soon as i started it the cruise light came on for another for 5 minutes of driving. i hope this doesnt lead to money spent

Quick Reply: remote start question