General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Radiator issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Default Radiator issues

We have a 2002 MC SS and I am about to replace a leaking radiator for the 3rd time in about 6 years. Anyone else having this issue? I swapped out the DexCool for regular anti-freeze after reading some of the pros/cons...I wouldnt think that is what is causing the issue. Anyways, thought I would check here for some other opinions. Thanks in advance...

Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 AM

...Hi Kaoskid,
How have you been maintaining your cooling system ?
It seems excessive to have to replace that many times...
How many miles on your S.S. ? How many miles between radiator replacement ?

Check back on your thread to see if any of our member's are having this problem...
Radiator Service Keeping your vehicle cool under the hood from Firestone site

Your vehicle’s engine consists of many moving parts, as they move they create friction, which creates heat. It’s the radiators job to cool down the engine. Your vehicle’s radiator keeps everything cool under the hood to help prevent overheating and other serious problems. To keep your engine cool and running properly the radiator pumps a mix of water and antifreeze through the chambers in your engine to absorb the excess heat.

Coolant System Fluid Exhange Service

Keeping your vehicle cool under the hood may only mean a quick part replacement, or it could involve more complex repairs. Our technicians can perform a detailed inspection of your vehicle’s cooling systems to determine what work is needed. Most vehicle manufacturers recommend replacement of the anti-freeze at scheduled intervals.

Unlike many service shops that just perform a “drain-and-fill”, Firestone Complete Auto Care provides a complete radiator fluid exchange service that includes the following:
  • inspect system and pressure test for leaks
  • add flush chemicals to the radiator
  • power flush system through flush machine
  • refill system with proper amount of recycled anti-freeze
  • add sealant/lubricant to the system
  • 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty*
*See your auto advisor for complete terms and conditions of written, limited warranties.

The key components we replace or repair are:
  • radiator
  • radiator cap
  • radiator hoses
  • radiator fan/fan clutch
  • anti-freeze
  • water pump
  • thermostat
  • fan belts
  • serpentine belt
  • cooling sensor
  • heater core
  • heater hoses
  • temperature sensor

Last edited by Space; 08-09-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you been watching your temp guage? Has it been running abnormally hot? I blew out a side tank on a 2 year old radiator in my Grand Am as a result of a head gasket leak (compression gases were being forced into the cooling system, it over pressurized and finally did it enough times to blow the side tank.

BTW - If you use the current formula of Dex-Cool it's no more harmful then the green stuff. Both anti-freezes need flushed from time to time. And both will destroy nylon intake gaskets. It's not the anti-freeze, it's the fact the gaskets sucked to begin with (GM has had intake gasket problems on cars that did NOT use Dex, such as I've done the intake gaskets twice on my '94 Grand Am and it has NEVER had Dex in it since I've owned it at 86K miles and it now has over 210K on it).