General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

1st Gen ('70-'72): Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 01:51 AM
Default Power steering

Any advice to tone down an overly sensitive power steering.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:25 PM

I assume by "overly sensitive" you mean it takes minimal effort to turn the wheel?

The easiest way to adjust that is to increase the size of the pulley on the pump, if you've got room, to slow down the pump. That's the cheapest because the next option is to change the ratio of the steering box. Possibly a smaller crank pulley could work depending on your set up and would also be cheaper than a new gear box. My Chevelle ratio is just fine so I haven't had to research options. Deferring to anyone who has done it, I'd say try a pump pulley 1 or 3/4 inch larger diameter and see if that feels good. It looks like your car has aftermarket pulleys that might not be original sizes.

If you mean it takes little movement of the steering wheel to change direction, that would be steering gear ratio. I'm not sure if there are options on replacing the Pittman arm to slow the ratio.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What Glen01SS said! also check the tire presuure I had some new tires put on an SUV a few years back and they were way over the usual pressure. once I dropped it to the 32 lbs. that was on the door sticker it was good.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Default Power steering issues

[QUOTE=Glen01SS;726015]I assume by "overly sensitive" you mean it takes minimal effort to turn the wheel?

The easiest way to adjust that is to increase the size of the pulley on the pump, if you've got room, to slow down the pump. That's the cheapest because the next option is to change the ratio of the steering box. Possibly a smaller crank pulley could work depending on your set up and would also be cheaper than a new gear box. My Chevelle ratio is just fine so I haven't had to research options. Deferring to anyone who has done it, I'd say try a pump pulley 1 or 3/4 inch larger diameter and see if that feels good. It looks like your car has aftermarket pulleys that might not be original sizes.

If you mean it takes little movement of the steering wheel to change direction, that would be steering gear ratio. I'm not sure if there are options on replacing the Pittman arm to slow the ratio.[/J

Old 07-05-2021, 12:56 PM
Default Power steering issues

[QUOTE=Glen01SS;726015]I assume by "overly sensitive" you mean it takes minimal effort to turn the wheel?

If you mean it takes little movement of the steering wheel to change direction, that would be steering gear ratio. I'm not sure if there are options on replacing the Pittman arm to slow the ratio.[/

while there is no slop in the wheel any correction results in a sort of “sawtooth” effort as my inputs over correct.