General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Power steering reservoir ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Power steering reservoir ...

How ridiculous is the placement of the power steering reservoir on the 2003 (00-05) 3.8L's?!

Back down behind the alternator? Under two hoses?! Who else has an adult-size hand that DOES NOT fit back there?!

WOW!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Alternator is an easy 3 bolts and it is moved out of the way

Old 08-30-2016, 04:26 PM

What worries me about the power steering pump reservoir location is that most Auto Service Technicians overlook checking the level during the lubrication process. I can see how this very poor engineering design has lead to premature replacement of power steering pumps and steering racks.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 PM

Just remove the coolant resevior and you can get to it. It's only the 2 speed nuts on top.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by russehrgood
What worries me about the power steering pump reservoir location is that most Auto Service Technicians overlook checking the level during the lubrication process. I can see how this very poor engineering design has lead to premature replacement of power steering pumps and steering racks.
If someone burns up a rack or a pump from running low on fluid, it's their fault 100%. Power steering fluid should never need topped off unless the system is leaking which isn't really that common on most modern cars.

It's not like engine oil that can disappear without leaking out the bottom of the car (ie through the rings or valve seals). If your power steering fluid is low, the owner should notice the drips on the ground before damage is caused.

I wonder how many oil change techs actually check all of the various fluid levels anyways, even if it were located on top. They're not going to make any money selling you 1/2 a quart of PS fluid.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 08-31-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Power steering fluid should never need topped off unless the system is leaking which isn't really that common on most modern cars.
I'm pretty sure it's leaking on mine, though, which is why I'm keeping a close eye on it, and adding some every week or two. Fortunately, on the 3.4 DOHC engine, the power steering reservoir and cap is right on top, on the passenger side.

By the way, anyone know if power steering fluid leaks only under pressure (engine running), or at any darn time?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sidestreet
I'm pretty sure it's leaking on mine, though, which is why I'm keeping a close eye on it, and adding some every week or two. Fortunately, on the 3.4 DOHC engine, the power steering reservoir and cap is right on top, on the passenger side.

By the way, anyone know if power steering fluid leaks only under pressure (engine running), or at any darn time?
If you're adding fluid every week, it's leaking- that is not normal.

It depends where the leak is if it leaks while running or all the time. I've seen a cracking hose that connects the outlet of the reservoir that leaked all the time. Obviously under pressure, there are multiple places it could leak.

If you're using that much fluid it should be easy to find. Do a thorough job cleaning the engine bay and underbody of the engine bay, and then look again in a week and you should see the fluid trail.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i had a high pressure hose go out on me once, then what i thought it happened again it turned out the connector came lose from vibration but i changed it anyway since it was under warranty, then it used to leak from what i believed was the reservoir from some time, i had to keep refilling it, but after a while it stopped i havent had to refill it for a while now and when i check it the fluid is still full

Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zeke
How ridiculous is the placement of the power steering reservoir on the 2003 (00-05) 3.8L's?!

Back down behind the alternator? Under two hoses?! Who else has an adult-size hand that DOES NOT fit back there?!

WOW!
If Im not mistaken, you can remove the passenger wheel and go right in to the reservoir?

Old 09-14-2016, 11:57 AM

I have had GM vehicles forty years and it should be easy to check the power steering fluid level, not to take the coolant reservoir off , move the alternator or remove the front wheel to check the fluid level. I never even seen the power steering dip stick, still don't know where it is, I have the mechanic check it and take his word it is full.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Power steering reservoir ...