General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

PCM problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default PCM problems?

Well the other day i got in my car to leave a freinds house, turned the key and all the gauges froze and it wouldnt even try to start, took out the key and the gauges remained frozen. After slamming the driver door and trying 3 more times i got it to go. When I talked to a mechanic he said it was the PCM going into power assist mode and that if it happened again i'd need to get a new PCM. Well today as i was trying to leave to see my probation officer, it did it again, and after 20 min of tryin i still got nothing. So now I have a failure to report, a disabled monte, I'm angry, my PO's angry, and i dont have much money because my dad wanted to buy himself a new truck. What could have caused these issues, is it really the PCM, and how can i fix it?

Its a 2003 SS

Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member

Update
After an extra 30 min of trying and cussing out my baby, she started up, went to ym appointment, and started up just fine leaving.... I'm glad it worked, im not glad that it works randomly...

Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 PM

Not posting with help, but empathizing. Leaving a Dr. appt this morning with my boyfriend behind the wheel )only the 2nd time he's driven her) she died 3 times. She would start back up, crank and everything, but then go a few feet and die. My boyfriend said it sounded like vapor lock. I'm hoping this has something to do with the missing Secondary Injection System (last 3 parts are on the way, should be here Monday) and that this will just go away when that's replaced.

Oh, and while waiting at the drive up window for a prescription to be refilled, the Low Coolant message came on in the Message Center. When we got home, I checked the reservoir, it was fine (added water anyway) and checked the radiator, poured some in and it overflowed almost immediately. Ran a search, and it looks like this might be a bad sensor. Does anyone know if this bad sensor could make it fail emissions, or can I safely ignore it for a bit? I still need to get her tagged.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So what's happening? The gauges won't work and the car won't start? Does it crank?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM

to the question about the bad sensor yes it can it will make it run really rich. and wll cause other parts to wear out like the cetilitic converter and the spark i would change it the temp should be around 20-30 dallars as well for the low coolent sensor. the question is do you have the 3400 or the 3800?? it will very if you have one or the other. i would go to nappa for the sensors. because i had wiered dealings with auto zone and advanced auto saying go to dealer. the temp sensor giving a bad reading as over heating or running cold and will give others a bad reading also.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
So what's happening? The gauges won't work and the car won't start? Does it crank?
It works for about 2 seconds, every things good till i try to start up the car. Then it tries for maybe a second but stops and all the gauges freeze and dont go back down even if i remove the key. I managed to get up to autozone and its not throwing any codes. Once this happens nothing works, turn the key all the way and i get nothing... Not even the dome light works when it freezes up.

Last edited by Overdose666; 11-12-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Hey there-
It sounds like you also might have a ground problem with the PCM. The PCM on the 6th Gens is located near the air cleaner. (I have an LS, but the electrical layout looks like it's the same even with the bigger engine.) Take off the filter, air box and check the connections to the computer. Make sure everything is clean and on there tight. That might solve the issue. Also since it's an SS, it's gonna have the 3.8L V6. It also could be the Body Computer (BCM). I'm not sure where that is, it's probably under the dash somewhere though.. Hopefully other 6th Gen. MC owners on here know where that is..
The BCM controls everything from the Dome light dim to shutting the radio, headlights, trunk light, etc. off after 10 mins. (when the key is removed, and the door isn't opened). It also unlocks the door if you leave the key in, and a bunch of other stuff. Good luck

Last edited by 05MonteLS; 11-13-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 05MonteLS
Hey there-
It sounds like you also might have a ground problem with the PCM. The PCM on the 6th Gens is located near the air cleaner. (I have an LS, but the electrical layout looks like it's the same even with the bigger engine.) Take off the filter, air box and check the connections to the computer. Make sure everything is clean and on there tight. That might solve the issue. Also since it's an SS, it's gonna have the 3.8L V6. Good luck
That's what i did lol, took it out and checked all the connections and left it out over night put it back in and seems to be workin fine, took it up to autozone and no new codes popped up

Old 11-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like it might be a BCM problem.