General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Parent and Fuel Situation...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well if its coming out of your account, and all they see is the dollar amount, just don't totally fill it up everytime. Just put like 1 gallon less than a totally full tank so that the numbers match up, and it looks like your getting regular.

If they don't ask to see recipts, this way they won't find out. If they are looking at your gas expenses, then your kinda screwed. All I can recommend then is buying a bottle of octane boost everytime you fill up, and adding that first (maybe pay cash for the octane boost).

Its stupid in the when looking at it that way though, because that is more expensive then just buying the damn premium gas. But if thats what it takes to get around it, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

what it looks like there tryin to do is keep you from driving b/c they do know the car requires it but there makin it look like it doesnt matter & they know that u know it does need it so theyll think if u cant use it u wont drive idk if that makes any sense lol

Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

yeahh this whole situation makes me angry but i just gotta deal with it and figure a way 'out' of it. i was just nervous that it was gonna screw the car up if i filled up with regular during the trip back since my dad will be with me and then use premium again once i get a job

Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm going to agree with most everything said. this topic has been brought up a dozen times.
1. Your car WILL run on regular.
2. IF you put your foot into it, you WILL do damage, likely chipping a piston. Where will that chip go?
3. Pulling the S/C belt IS an option. I don't like that option.
4. Work out a deal with your parents.
5. Isn't your dad a mechanic? He should KNOW that a high compression engine will destroy itself on cheap gas. If they don't want you to run premium, then they shouldn't have got you a car that requires premium.

I look at it like this: If it comes to it, run the regular and just baby the car. You won't HURT it any, and you'll be saving a TON of money. When you pay for your own gas, THEN you can run premium.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
All I can recommend then is buying a bottle of octane boost everytime you fill up, and adding that first (maybe pay cash for the octane boost).
Running a can of octane boost then filling up with regular is the equivalent of putting like... 87.5 in your tank instead of 87. Not even worth it.

Just take the belt off the supercharger if your dad forces Regular in your car, and if he asks what you are doing, you tell him you are saving your engine from chipped and broken pistons.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

thanks for the help guys. you are most def helping me out and its highly appreciate =] you guys are the best!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:09 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

At least, if you end up putting 87oct in the car, do so with decent fuel. BP and such. Having a car that requires premium I'd like to think you already know to avoid the typical random no-name, off-brand fuel from Jack's Gas Shack.

To be honest I'd be surprised if you damaged the engine at all running 87oct in it for a bit. The PCM should pull the timing far enough back to keep you from harming the engine as long as you aren't abusive by going WOT like the throttle is an on/off switch. Normal driving on 87oct should NOT do any damage at all unless some fluke lean condition happens.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't go through all the trouble of taking the supercharger off the car... that would be more stupid than anything. You'd be restricting the air flow to the engine SO badly, and the belt won't fit in the first place. Ridiculous idea in my opinion (sorry Mike) Maybe the belt fits but I wouldn't think so... I'd just leave it alone. If they're just looking at credit card receipts, it'll say nothing more than where you got fuel and how much. I've never even looked at receipt to know one way or the other on that.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:44 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Removing the blower belt, and thus the lobes of the blower not turning, doesn't really restrict the airflow to the engine all that much. What you end up with is a car that gets 30+ MPG easy but is obviously underpowered because of the 8.5:1 CR.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Woudln't hte belt be VERY slack?

Quick Reply: Parent and Fuel Situation...