General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:30 PM

And you guys have insurance right?
The bad thing is with a 15 year old camaro, and a 00 monte is neither of the cars are worth squat accord to blue book (no offense to you guys- its true of almost any older GM vehicle), so its super easy for the insurance company to total it out with even a minor wreck. Doesn't take much to cause $2k in body shop repairs. That is the one upside of having a much newer vehicle- with even a $10k blue book- your chances of actually getting the car repaired from an accident are much better.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
The bad thing is with a 15 year old camaro, and a 00 monte is neither of the cars are worth squat accord to blue book (no offense to you guys- its true of almost any older GM vehicle), so its super easy for the insurance company to total it out with even a minor wreck. Doesn't take much to cause $2k in body shop repairs. That is the one upside of having a much newer vehicle- with even a $10k blue book- your chances of actually getting the car repaired from an accident are much better.
...point? I'm better off selling the Z going into debt, paying higher premiums and taxes so that if I get in a wreck I can keep my car? Or I should break the law and not have insurance? No offense taken, but you lost me.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM

its this turn in your tag drop the insurance and it will save you some money but if it is out in the open you might get a ticket. you always can do the resto on the z28 and wait till a few uears later and dont have to worie about higher taxes due to antiqu laws.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 PM

...point? I'm better off selling the Z going into debt, paying higher premiums and taxes so that if I get in a wreck I can keep my car? Or I should break the law and not have insurance? No offense taken, but you lost me.
Definitely missed that one, lol. What I was saying is that RickAKATed10 said just to drive it and enjoy it because you have insurance if it gets hit.

What I was saying is that insurance is great, and sure they'll pay for the car; but with a car that old, even a minor fender bender will total it. Not to mention, you likely have a lot more sentimental value than what the car is worth (if you have another car to drive), so a check for blue book value won't get you back what you had (even more true if you have a lot of custom work done that isn't covered by insurance). Not to mention, you're still out all your time and effort finding your original car, and maintaining it, and keeping it polished and nice- and you've got a check that will barely get you an average replacement.

That's why when its crappy out, and I can't enjoy my nicer cars anyways- I may as well just take my daily driver/beater. That way if somebody hits me, I don't care about the car at all. Its not like you can really enjoy driving it anyways when its pouring down rain so bad you can't hardly see- or when there is a foot of snow on the ground.

Make more sense that way?

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 04-09-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Definitely missed that one, lol. What I was saying is that RickAKATed10 said just to drive it and enjoy it because you have insurance if it gets hit.

What I was saying is that insurance is great, and sure they'll pay for the car; but with a car that old, even a minor fender bender will total it. Not to mention, you likely have a lot more sentimental value than what the car is worth (if you have another car to drive), so a check for blue book value won't get you back what you had (even more true if you have a lot of custom work done that isn't covered by insurance). That's why when its crappy out, and I can't enjoy my nicer cars anyways- I may as well just take my daily driver/beater. That way if somebody hits me, I don't care about the car at all. Its not like you can really enjoy driving it anyways when its pouring down rain so bad you can't hardly see- or when there is a foot of snow on the ground.

Make more sense that way?
Much more, looking at your 96 with $$$ wrapped up into it and getting the feeling that you wanted me to sell the Z because of what might happen had me more then a little . I'm not really into doing custom work, too stupid and cheap, that I'd have to worry the insurance company about. Truck has a hard tonneau that's about it for any high $ add-ons.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Much more, looking at your 96 with $$$ wrapped up into it
Yeah, that's part of the reason I'm so passionate about having a daily driver if you've got a car you really care about and want to keep a long time. I bet they'd be lucky to give me $1k for the thing if I got hit. My plan is, once I get everything buttoned up and back in a more drivable condition that I'll get an insurance adjuster to come out and get it insured for what it would take to actually replace it. Just hope they'd don't kill me too much on cost, which I'm assuming they will- but at least it would be nice to know that all the stuff is covered then.

That's also why I mentioned I think its so much more important with an older vehicle- at least I know with my GXP that they'd have to repair most any normal minor wreck; but I think even a minor parking lot wreck could be enough to total my monte given its blue book value.

getting the feeling that you wanted me to sell the Z because of what might happen
No way, definitely not! I totally agree with you - rock the truck when its rainy and crappy, and save the Z for the days you can really enjoy it. Like you said- wet weather traction is probably pretty bad anyways.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 04-09-2010 at 08:03 PM.