General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): No start

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default No start

Ok im kinda in a bind. Yesterday as soon as I got around the corner from my house I ran out of gas so I ended up pushing it to the house. I had to be to school in a hour so I ended up draining some gas out of our 4-wheeler (like 6 months old) to see If I can make it to a gas station. After a few long cranks it started and sounded good until I got to the end of our block and it started chugging so I threw it in reverse and turned around and it chugged until it stopped. Had to push it to the house again and ended up missing class :l. I removed the fitting to the fuel filter to let some of that gas out, dunno if all of it came out. So this morning I take my license plate off of my car and put it on my truck (no plates or insurance) and drive to the gas station with my tank. After leaving the gas station my truck ran out of gas 3 minutes from my house :l. I had to use 3/4 of the gas I just got to even get it to start. So I made it back home and put the remaining amount in my car and it started for all of 4 seconds and died again. I have a bad battery so after like 7 seconds of cranking it dies. It startes pouring raining and im trying to jump my car off of my truck and my car just isnt starting so I figured I dont have enough gas. My mom comes and takes me to the gas station and I get $8 of gas in a can and go back to the house. I poured all the gas in my tank and connected the jumper cables from my truck to my car and now my truck is outta gas again! So I try and jump it from my moms car but it just wont start at all. It cranks strong but its just not turning over. Im guessing that gas out of the 4-wheeler was bad and probably had more than gas in it... I do hear my fuel pump priming, and my fuel filter is a couple of months old... What are my next steps? Its raining and my car is blocking our driveway and wont start.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member

I would like to add that I checked my front spark plugs and they all had a little ?liquid? on them I guess from long cranking but they look brand new not black or anything. Switched out my fuel pump fuse and relay and still nothing. I pressed down the black fuel fitting on the rails and fuel came out so I guess im getting pressure, idk.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member

I guess im by myself here, I removed the line off of the fuel filter and im doing cycles of key on key off to pump the gas out. I think water may have been in the 4wheeler gas tank becuse my gas is coming out cloudy (milky). I put some fresh gasoline in a bottle and water and shook it up and what do you know it turns cloudy! Looks like Im going to have to cycle key on key off for a minute and take my fuel rails out...

Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Sounds like water was in the quad tank. Drained my 400ex this fall and 1/2 the liquid in the tank was water.For some reason quads tend to get water in them lol.What i had to do was drain the tnk,carb,lines.Dryed the tank with an air compressor to know there was no fluids left in there.Not sure what you can do with the monte,hopefully someone else gets in here to help!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04chevyboy
Sounds like water was in the quad tank. Drained my 400ex this fall and 1/2 the liquid in the tank was water.For some reason quads tend to get water in them lol.What i had to do was drain the tnk,carb,lines.Dryed the tank with an air compressor to know there was no fluids left in there.Not sure what you can do with the monte,hopefully someone else gets in here to help!
Well I emptied my montes gas tank by taking off the fuel hose at the fuel filter and turning the key on and off A LOT OF TIMES until the fuel pump didnt spit anything out. I dont want to try and start it until I get a new fuel filter. I removed all the spark plugs and they were a little wet, I wiped them off and tried to start the car (fuel hose still disconnected) to see if water came out the holes and nothing. The only thing is that im sure I still have water in the fuel rails and fuel lines. What do I do about that?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks 04Chevyboy for responding. I finally just got my car to start. I ended up draining all the gas by undoing the line at the fuel filter and 30 minutes of key on key off. I changed out the fuel filter. Then I stuck something in the fuel rail pressure thing to hold it open. I put my air compressor on 25 psi for 1 minute on the fuel line and gas sprayed everywhere! Got some STP gas cleaner and fresh gas and after 30 seconds of cranking it finally turned over. It sounded horrible lol. It acted like it wanted to die so bad but kept going so I gave it some gas and the idle smoothed out. Now it only runs like crap when I turn it off and start it back up but after reading on some Honda (YES HONDA!!!) forums thats just the little bit of water left and it should be back to normal in 4 fillups. So glad its back running.