General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:35 AM
Default mods?

I have a 2004 montecarlo intimidator. It currently has 168k miles on it. Got it a year ago. Car has no major problems. Engine runs perfect. Should i do some mods like CAI and maybe a new exhaust setup or is it too late bc of the high mileage?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 AM

I got 200k on mine and im still modding it...

Has the trans ever been rebuilt? Thats the main thing you gotta worry about in these cars, it sucks.

Intake and exhaust should be no issue tho. Look into "u-bend delete" if you wanna feel a tiny bit more power..

Old 04-22-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ejlopez3011
I have a 2004 montecarlo intimidator. It currently has 168k miles on it. Got it a year ago. Car has no major problems. Engine runs perfect. Should i do some mods like CAI and maybe a new exhaust setup or is it too late bc of the high mileage?
Agree with the above, the engine likely isnt the weak link, it's probably the trans unless it has been refreshed lately.

Being that you just got it and may not know the history, you could do compression and leak down tests to verify the condition of the engine, but unless it was really abused, I'd think it would be fine.

TBH stuff like a CAI and exhaust (especially cat back) dont really add significant power anyways. If the engine is so fragile that 5 or 10 horsepower breaks it, it was going to go anyways. It's not like you're wanting to spray 100 shot on it.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Agree with the above, the engine likely isnt the weak link, it's probably the trans unless it has been refreshed lately.

Being that you just got it and may not know the history, you could do compression and leak down tests to verify the condition of the engine, but unless it was really abused, I'd think it would be fine.

TBH stuff like a CAI and exhaust (especially cat back) dont really add significant power anyways. If the engine is so fragile that 5 or 10 horsepower breaks it, it was going to go anyways. It's not like you're wanting to spray 100 shot on it.
when i got the monte i had found some receipts of all the maintenance the previous owner had done. He took the monte to the dealer for maintenace. So im guessing he took good care of the car. Only problem i have with the car in general is some shaking when in high rpms. Im currently in the process of replacing the engine motor mount

Old 04-22-2019, 07:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Despite the receipts, I would probably spend my money first to make sure it is all in good order (no items needing refreshed due to age/wear). And in some cases, as you fix things, you can mod as you go (ex, if the exhaust needs repaired, get a better exhaust or remove the U-Bend and resonator at the least; Need new suspension parts, go for poly bushings or strong replacement parts).
When it comes to mods, if you are in no rush, wait for Black Friday and watch ZZPerformance.com.

Here is a pretty good thread about maintenance items to check:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...0-miles-46078/