General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

i got an 87 LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Default i got an 87 LS

aight i got an 87 LS and with a twenty year old car there comes problems that most have probably faced like the ones that are coming towards me. more or less i need advice on how to fix these problem.

1. My speedometer does not work. it stopped working i dont know how long ago and hasnt moved from zero in years!, i would really like to get it fixed because its my first car and i dont wanna get pulled over for not knowing how fast i'm going.

2. The engine is kinda messed up and i dont know how to fix it, it isnt idling right and even if you let it try and warm up 9 times outta 10 it'll die *** soon as you put it in reverse/drive. someone told me it is the fuel injectors and i would like to know for sure before i spend that much money on two brand new ones.

3. my gas gauge doesn't work either. it stays in beteween a quarter and half a tank depending on how much is left in the tank, it could be slap full of gas and it say half a tank.

advice would be much appreiciated

-Matt

Old 07-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: i got an 87 LS

well the speedo could be a wiring issue, the gas guage is most likely your sending unit, or could be a wiring issue to as the speedo's not working

and for the engine, do a tune-up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, spray some sea foam into the throttle body

oh, and welcome to the site

Old 07-26-2007, 12:27 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: i got an 87 LS

Unless the engine's been changed out '87 LS (or SS) Montes did not come fuel injects. They have a carburator. Which could need a re-build?

Do as Wiz Kidd says and tune the car up. Check the engine timing too.

The speedometer head not working could be it's not connected? The drive cable is busted inside the sleeve? Or the drive gear for the speedometer is messed up inside the transmission?

If you suspect the gas gauge is badcontact Mike @ Mike's Montes.
(He has a web site)

Thefloat in the tank could be the problem as could be the printed circuit board on the back side of the gague cluster in the dash? I know my g/f complained her gas gauge would do some strange things in her '81 SC Monte.