General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

I changed my oil today and I was rather ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Default I changed my oil today and I was rather ....

pleased.

I must say this car is the most easiest car ever when it comes to minor work on it. I changed my oil today and it was a breeze. Now normally, I've had my problems when it came to changing oil on cars. I had a 1997 Mazda 626 and when it came time to change the oil, it was a real pain. When it came time to remove the oil filter you had to reach to the high heavens under the car and then turn your hand at a 90 degree angle to unscrew it. It would then take a prayer and a arm of iron to install a new unit in its place. Then there was Dodge. I swear I never had such a stubborn oil filter. The filter must of been torqued down by the incredible hulk himself. Then Mercury, well that one was easier than both Mazda and Dodge, but the problem came when you allow someone else to change the oil for you. When it came time to change the Mercury, the oil screw was stripped, I found only three threads holding the plug in place. I never trusted a another living soul to change my oil.

Now getting back to the Monte she was a real breeze. I think it took me no more than 10 minutes to raise the jack, drain, plug, uninstall the old oil filter, add some oil to new filter, install new oil filter and lower the jack. I like it when everything is right in reach and user friendly.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: I changed my oil today and I was rather ....

nice

Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like it went pretty easy for you.

You want to talk about a that's a pain in the @#$ to change the oil filter on, my g/f's '81 Monte is. It has the 229 V6 under the hood. But the filter is real close to other objects and I can never seem to get any oil filter wrench on the blasted thing. I usually end up shovinga screw driver into the oil filter so I can turn it which leads to oil every where.

The filter on my windowed Sedan Delivery isn't bad at all to change. Just messy. The oil cannister is mounted on the exhaust manifold right up in the engine compartment. You remove the lid, pull the oil filter out and get oil every where. I usually take paper towels and soak up the remaining oil in the cannister before I install a new filter. Then I get to clean the oil off my hands.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Very good. I was chuckling at a member about a year ago who couldn't find his oil filter. He didn't know that access to the filter was under the car.

Buy a manual friend.