General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

How to take great pictures of your Monte Carlo ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question How to take great pictures of your Monte Carlo ?

Sorry, I don't know , but if you have the knowledge ~> Please share with our MCF membership...Lookin 4ward to input from Mod `Mike : ) & more of our
expert member's that post some awesome Pictures "Please Share"

Action ~>

Below are some links I found on a web search.
Please add your links, or expert advise.

I believe everyone should have great pictures of their Monte Carlo 4-Sure. We look forward to seeing awesome pic's of your `Monte : )

Photographing Classic Cars | Hyman Ltd. Classic Cars

Achieving good photographs of your classic car is not difficult. ... Where you photograph your car will make a big impact on how the pictures look. ...
www.hymanltd.com/photographing_classic_cars.htm - Cached - Similar

How to Take Pictures of Your Car

Just sharing pictures of your car is fun and all, but if you can portray your car as being as awesome as you think it is by using the camera the right way, ...
www.staphonline.com/howtopics01.html - Cached - Similar

How to Take Pictures of Your Car Like a Professional - Associated ...

Jan 22, 2008 ... How to Take Pictures of Your Car Like a Professional ... A good rule of thumb is , if you aren't on your knees the viewers won't be pleased. ...
www.associatedcontent.com › Automotive - Cached - Similar

Weekly Top Three: How To Take Pictures Of Your Car

Apr 23, 2010 ... Want to learn how to take good pictures of your car? ... When Scott and Kurt go out to take photos of our test cars, they are almost always ...
blogs.edmunds.com › ... › BlogsEdmunds CarPool - Cached - Similar

Attached Thumbnails How to take great pictures of your Monte Carlo ?-4thgen.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 05-03-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I posted this a while back, still fits so here it goes:

If I may add some advice, by no means am I a professional, so please take this just as advice or ideas perhaps for next time...

1.) Many Professional Photographers do not like using Photochop in anyway, they like the original look. Others like to use it to really make there subjuct "Pop" out at you. To me as long as your using photoshop to really accent your subject (In this case your car) I like to utilize it.

I Typically like to Accent color cars (Red/yellow/etc) By turning the background black & white and blurring it. With Black/silver/white cars, I ussually like to keep the color and just blur the background. Also black borders around the entire pic help. Some Cameras have these features built in, if not a simple photochop programs helps.

2.) Night time photos. It is almost impossible to take clear pics with a Point & Shoot (Small) Camera at night or in low light. If possible I recommend anyone going into photography to save for a SLR, even an older one (Like a Nikon D40) Could be had for a bit cheaper then newer ones (D90/D3000/Rebel) and could give a photographer the experience they need, till they can afford a newer one.

If the only thing you can afford at the time is a Point & Shoot, I recommend getting a tripod. Doesn't have to be expensive, I think mine cost $15. Set the camera on the tripod, most cameras have a timer, set it to 10 seconds and take the pic that way. Why? Cause when you go to hit the button to take the pic without a timer, that causes a slight vibration, and yes even that can cause bluryness....setting the timer gives the camera time to settle and not have any movement, which results in a clearer picture.

Also NEVER use Flash at night when taking pics of cars, they rarely come out better, and ussually just accent the fender or a part of the car directly in front of the camera and leaves everything else (Like the rest of the car) in the dark.

3.) Adding your name to the pic, this is always good if you want to get your name/website out there as a photgrapher. Kinda trade mark the pic as your own, and gets more people to check out your site to see who you are and get business. Just have to be cautious of where you put it on the pic. Most put it on the lower right hand corner, to keep it consistant, others try to incorporate it in the picture somewhere in the background. All good ideas, but the one thing you should steer clear of is putting it right on, or to close to the subject. Putting it right on the subject, is taking away from the primary subject of the picture ( the car).

4.) Using your surroundings, placing the car by existing burnout marks is a great idea, one of my favorite shots, I did something similar with my Monte, try lining the car up right on the burnout mark

5.) Angled shots. Taking pics from different angles is always a great idea, really shows off the cars aggressiveness...so Putting the camera on the ground and facing it up is always a plus, making the angled shots again makes the car more aggressive, also keep in mind the direction of the wheel./rim, I'd rather see a nice shiney rim, then a black tire. This is a headache cause I ussually have the owner turn the wheel about 10 times in a shoot to always include the rim on the side I'm facing a PITA but it does make the picture turn out better.

Remember the more pics the better, max the memory card out if you have to, I ussually like to go around the cars 3 times, once on the low end, once in the middle for head on shots, and once holding the camera above my head to take shots from the top (Sometimes tricky to get the whole car in the photo) But you'd be surprised sometimes a picture that is just slightly angled then the one before it comes out 100 times better....You may come up with 500 shots, but only 10 that take your breathe away, sometimes even just 1, but those are the ones that are worth it.

6.) The Sun. While you can't control were the sun is sometimes, it's always good to be aware of where you will get the best light. Obviously it's always good to have the sun behind you facing the subject for best light. If it's behind the subject you will only get a dark silhoutte, sometimes that's bad other times it can bring cool effects . This brings us back to how even an inch over for a photo can completely change the aspect of it. Also try to keep the subject fully in the sun or shade, a car being half in the sun and half in the shade makes it somewhat confusing and not as eye catchy ....again difficult to work with the sun, but either the subject needs to be moved all the way into the sun (Again a pita to keep moving the car) or if possible come back the next day a lil earlier to have more sunlight to work with.

7.) Close up shots. I always like the detailed shots of a particular subject like the engine, interior, or parts of a car, just try to keep it even, and if there is lettering or decals on the car/in the picutre try to include the entire thing and not cut off the decal.

8.) Location, Location, Location Sometimes this could be the hardest part , there are days I literally drive around looking for a good spot...and sometimes they just pop out at you....sometimes it's awkward to pull up to a location where there are lotsa people all looking at you taking pics of your car...but once you get passed that, you get some pretty cool shots. I think you did an excellent job with the locations...under the lights of a gas station are cool at night, in front of the building is way cool! and on the roof top is amazing....Always good to find a place of contrast, if you find a place with a light background like white/slate that always makes cars of any color "pop" out more....sometimes that is easier said then done, by me almost everything is black ashphalt which doesn't make the cars pop as much.

9.) Zoom, although many cameras come with high out put zoom that can reach the far reaches of the universe, I tend to steer clear of using zoom. Instead cameras take such big pictures these days, I prefer taking a picture without zoom, then once you get home, Cut out the area you want and paiste it on a new canvas the same size as that area. For Instance my SLR Takes something like 4000X 2800 Pixels which gets three or more cars in a row at a Car show, then I Highlight around the one car copy that image (Say 800X600) and paiste that on a new canvas that sides....keeps the quality of the pic and gets the car at the same time.

9.) The Camera, again if possible try to save for a slr ...even a cheaper older (But still brand new) one. you can really see the difference in pics, believe it or not red is what shows the most, it is the color that "Bleeds" the most (No pun intended) with an SLR colors are clearly defined and have an end point, with a Point & Shoot they typically bleed and look "smudged" for lack of a better word. NOW I know were all on a budget so if a slr is not doable, You can still take awesome pics with a Point & Shoot and learn things from them that you can carry over to an SLR when one is affordable. I used my Point & shoot for years and still do, and have taken incredible pics with it, even some that rival my SLR So by no means are they a bad camera.

Hopefully those reading this take away the ideas and use them, and are not offended by my ideas etc. So go out there and take some pics, keep them coming, and post them up for all to see!

Joe

Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Joe really took a lot of the things into account with what you need. Usually I like to tell people to shoot their cars in the morning before the sun gets high, or at night while it is setting. This keeps glare off the car, but also gives you enough light to get crisp shots and full colors of the car.

I fully support his decision to get multiple angles. Usually the most interesting pictures taken are while you are either laying on the ground (yes I lay on the ground military style) or crouching. Try to avoid just standing and pointing the camera. Hell even if you have to do that, just hang the camera around your neck and shoot from your chest.

If you buy a dSLR camera (which I also recommend, I shoot with a Canon Rebel XS) you NEED to shoot in .RAW image files, NOT .JPEG. This forces your camera to NOT do the "developing" and processing of the images, but just takes ALL the information from the shot, and your computer will do the processing when you import the photo, then you can save it however you like (this is where I put it into JPEG form)

When you are converting from a RAW file, you can then fix your mistakes from outside. You can adjust the exposure properly, bring out some more blacks, get a little more saturation into the photo (my stock lens doesn't like to saturate).

Another tip, goes along with Joe on zooming. I NEVER zoom, walk up to the car, it's not like a bird where you can't walk up to it. Zooming forces the camera and the lens to make the choices, where as you can walk around and make all the choices that you want. Also, I like to shoot as small of a focal length as possible. For example if you get a dSLR and your lens is an 18mm - 55mm focal length, I would stick to 18mm for every possible shot that I can. This keeps the focal point as close as possible to the sensor in the camera, and adds to the quality of a shot. It also gives really really nice low angle shots.

A lot of this is also just knowing how photography works. I can go into more detail in the basics of photography if anyone has questions.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM

...Thanks `Joe & Mod`Mike for your super posts 4-Sure.
Plus your offer to help.

I hope more member's contribute & also see some super new pictures of member's Monte's on our Forum...

EveryOne loves pictures of the AweSome Chevrolet Monte Carlo ~> 4-Real-Sure

We shall all be waiting 2 See ~><~Me 2
Smile ~>Got `Ya

Last edited by Space; 05-03-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Personally I just wing it lol to me it depends on the vehicle you are photographing

Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

A good location will help to make a great picture also. I always like to take pictures from a lot of different perspectives too.