General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hood?

Hmm, so messing around on the net the last couple days looking into fiberglass and with making molds in one of my classes (I'll ask about fiberglass next week) I really wanna learn how to glass myself. It'd be awhile before I did anything for my car, but eventually I'd like to take out the back seats and make a pass through to my trunk all outta glass with the subs built into the walls and what not, along with my own hood and body kit (a lot like Razzi's but with different side skirts as I hate the tube looking deals).

Anyways my question is... Is the hood for the 06+ Impala's the exact same as the '06-'07 Monte's?
I'm asking because it'd be more likely to find one in a junkyard and if they're the same I could pull a mold off the Impala and not have to worry about messing up my own hood.

What'd ya'll think about me making a whole hood out of fiberglass? Would it not crumple in a collision and decapitate some peoples? What about using the other hood and just cutting away the part I wanna glass over and leaving the rest sheet metal? I want to work out a cowl hood that's actually open on the bottom to pull some hot air outta the engine bay.

Yay? Nay? What the hell?

Old 10-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Default RE: Hood?

[align=center]Hi `Garrett,[/align][align=center]Sounds like a interesting/fun project. I think the hoods[/align][align=center]are different on the 06-07 Monte Carlo because of the headlight change?, but I would[/align][align=center]call your local Chevy Parts/AutoBodyShop &[/align][align=center]confirm. I think they should know : ) ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Found the below for your information[/align][align=center][:-][/align]

Replacement Hood - 2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

[align=center][/align]

Zoom
[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

Item #C130136
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

$124.81 Each
Low Price Guarantee
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
"HOOD A High Quality, Direct Fit OE Replacement Hood"
[:-]
[align=center][/align]
Shipping Information
[align=center][/align]
Availabilty: Ground Shipping Only
Application Info

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Monte Carlo
Year: 2
Brand: Replacement
Part: Hood
SKU: C130136
[align=center][/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2006-2006: 6Cyl 3.9L LT[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2006-2006: 6Cyl 3.9L LTZ[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2006-2007: [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2006-2007: 6Cyl 3.5L LT[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2006-2007: 8Cyl 5.3L SS[/align][*][align=center][:-]Source [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ch...tc1301361.html[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 10-03-2008, 06:29 AM

You may also be interested in these parts for your 2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo: From Above Link [/align]

Replacement Bumper Bracket - 2000-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
"BUMPER BRACKET, FRONT, DRIVER SIDE A High Quality, Direct Fit OE Replacement For Bumper Bracket"...
Only $9.90

Replacement Fog Light - 2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
"FOG LIGHT ASSEMBLY, DRIVER OR PASSENGER SIDE A High Quality, Direct Fit OE Replacement For Fog Lamp Assembly"...
Only $62.73

Replacement Alloy Alloy Wheel - 2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
"ALLOY WHEEL, 17 X 6.5, 5 DOUBLE SPOKES, MACHINED with SILVER, REPLICA, 5 Lugs, 17 inches Height, 6.5 inches Width"...
Only $169.20

Replacement Bumper Absorber - 2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
"BUMPER ABSORBER A High Quality, Direct Fit OE Replacement For Bumper Absorber"...
Only $145.83 [/align][/align][/align]

Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 AM

Thanks Space, but aren't the headlights between the Impalas and Montes the same? Shouldn't the hood also be the same?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: God_Bot

Thanks Space, but aren't the headlights between the Impalas and Montes the same? Shouldn't the hood also be the same?
LOL `Garrett, is that another test question ?
The part #s for the hood & headlights are the same for
the 06-07 Monte Carlo & Impala
Keep us updated on what you decide to do `ok.
I`ve been searching for that custom hood that was posted
a long time ago with a ram air type hood for the 06-07
Monte Carlo. I will post it when I find.
Hope things are going good @ school for you : )
Was my answer correct ? Can I proceed to the next level ?
LoL

Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Hey `Garrett,
I think the below ram air hood would look Super on your Awesome Monte Carlo LT3 ~ 4-Sure : )
Source below
[align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2802905[/align]

Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 AM

[align=left]

[/align][align=left]Monte Carlo Products[/align][align=left]2006-2007 Chevy Monte Carlo Ram Air Hood Now available for order![/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]
Hood is available with optional heat extractor as shown in the last thumbnail picture.Hood comes in black gel coat ready for prep and paint. After Market Cold Air Intake is required. We recommend the Aluminum MPD CAI as shown in pictures above. System will also work with open cone filter. To see pictures without heat extractors please refer to Impala page as the hood fits both the Chevy Impala as well as the Monte Carlo. The Ram Air Hood fits all 2006-2007 model Chevy Monte Carlos and 2006-2007 Chevy Impalas. If you have further questions please feel free to give us a call @ 765-386-MPD1(6731). To order online use payment buttons directly below.
Please note that $30.00 crating charge is added automatically to cart when checking out. Shipping is FOB. You pay shipping at time of delivery. Estimated Average shipping cost to commercial location inside Continental US is $118.00. Residential delivery adds $70.00. Canadian and other countries please call for individual quote.

2006-2007 Ram Air hood w/heat extractors $875.00

2006-2007 Ram Air hood w/out heat extractors $805.00

2006-2007 Aluminum Cold Air Intake Box $285.99 + 12.00 S&H
Aluminum Cold Air Intake includes:
-Aluminum Box
-Seal to mate up to MPD hood
-Air box lid w/ 1/4 inch turn fastners
-Aluminum PCM tray
- 9 inch CAI, Inc. cone filter
- Installation Instructi
[/align][align=left]2000 + Monte Carlo Products below [/align][align=left]

[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]2000+ Monte Carlo Ram Air Hood: $755.00[/align][align=left]

[/align][align=left]Monte Carlo Ram Air Hood W/ Plenum:$825.00
($30. 00 crating fee is added to price in cart.)
[/align][align=left]

[/align][align=left]status: built to order call for more information[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]
plenum/port
Plenum is $70.00 + S&H

[/align]
[align=left]

[/align][align=left]

2000 and up Monte Carlo owners can customize their car with our functional ram air hood Steel frame seamless underside that ensures a perfect fit!
Available port plenum set up to make a fully functional ram air.
[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]
[hr]
[/align][align=left]
[/align]
[align=left]Free Shipping on spoiler![/align][align=left][/align][align=left]
Pace Car Spoiler at $159.00
Free shipping on spoilers! Replacement parts are available for ground effects package . Just call us and specify which part you need to replace. Ground effects and spoilers ship in 24-48 hours excluding weekends and Holidays.
BUY NOW!
Razzi Ground Effects kit now $755.00
Spoiler$159.00
Painted Spoiler $196.00
Body kit $755.00 plus $85.00 shipping
Cat-Back Exhaust System $825.00 plus $25.00 shipping
Performance Cat-back Exhaust specially designed to fit with the Ground Effects Package. Stainless Steel dual exhaust will increase Horse Power 7 to 15%! Ships in 1 to 3 business days.

Pictures: click on the thumbnails below to enlarge the picture.

[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]

SS Style Monte Carlo Ram Air Hood

This Monte Carlo Ram Air hood is built using a steel hood frame for the underside and the finest resins to ensure excellent fit and finish. We cut absolutely no corners when it comes to expense or time in building our products. Each Ram Air hood is built using a jig made from the factory Monte Carlo hood so that it fits like a factory Monte Carlo hood! We take time to weld extra support braces into the steel frame for extra bonding strength and safety! The steel frame also allows you to use the factory struts and hinges making the Ram Air hood a snap to install. Ram Air hood comes with a "real" injection molded grill insert that comes directly from GM.We also carry a one year limited warranty on all of our products.

We take great pride in our work and want your car to look its best! The president of our company himself inspects and finishes each piece before it is wrapped and packaged for shipping. This ensures that each piece is one that we would be proud to put on our own vehicles!
Important Instructions for Installing your Hood

Each Ram Air hood comes unpainted, ready to prep and paint. If you do not already have a shop in mind to do the finishing touches, look for one that has experience with fiberglass and has worked with aftermarket hoods.
Your body shop will want to test fit the ram air hood immediately upon receiving it. They will also want to block, sand and prime it prior to painting. This is where a good body shop is important. Typical labor time to prefit, prep, and paint is usually about 8 hours. Average costs are about $450-500. Metallic colors might be slightly
[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]http://www.mpd-inc.net/mc.htm[/align]

Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: KidSpace

LOL `Garrett, is that another test question ?
The part #s for the hood & headlights are the same for
the 06-07 Monte Carlo & Impala
Keep us updated on what you decide to do `ok.
I`ve been searching for that custom hood that was posted
a long time ago with a ram air type hood for the 06-07
Monte Carlo. I will post it when I find.
Hope things are going good @ school for you : )
Was my answer correct ? Can I proceed to the next level ?
LoL
Lol, sorry Space, I didn't realize that, thanks for pointing it out. I've had that hood bookmarked since it was first being test fitted. I do really like it, but I would rather have a functional cowl style hood.

Edit: I wanna to make some sort of hole in the front like the one in this picture with a similar cowl, just a bit more curved to fit the Monte body better...

Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 AM

Hi Garrett,
I love your idea, and I think it would be great for bringing cool air
in2 your intake. I have watched guys making surfboards, & it is a detailed process, and takes a lot of skill, and patience. 4-Sure : )
Found the below that I thought you may find interesting.
Good Luck, from Space & Bums
YouTube - How To Fiberglass #4 * Mold Making * Go Fast Fiber...
Apr 5, 2007 ... Making a fiberglass mold of a dragtser scoop... Sling Shot Type....... Mr. Bush. . Pardon ED NORRIS!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEa5_WHQZo0 - 114k - Similar pages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEa5_WHQZo0

YouTube - How To Fiberglass * Part 5 * PVA * Go Fa...
Apr 5, 2007 ... Link To Part 4.... Making The Part From The Mold...... A Go Fast Fiberglass Orig Designed Part.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=62AGalE5P6g - 114k - Similar pages
[ More results from www.youtube.com ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62AGalE5P6g[/align]How to Fiberglass Something - wikiHow
wikiHow article about How to Fiberglass Something.
www.wikihow.com/Fiberglass-Something - 34k - Similar pages
http://www.wikihow.com/Fiberglass-Something
Step By Step Fiberglass
Fiberglass step by step. Create your own fiberglass interior panels, speaker enclosures and more.
www.explorerforum.com/fiberglass/fiberglassing.h... - 35k - Similar pages

Old 10-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Garrett don't do it. I am begging you. Your headlights alone make me want to buy an 06-07. If you add the hood I might just have to do it and I can not afford it at this time. For the sake of a fellow MCF member save your money. lol The hood looks good and I know you will do it right. Love the car so far.