Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

78 Monte Cowl Hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Tek
Default 78 Monte Cowl Hood

I was wondering if anyone makes a cowl hood for a 78 Monte. Does a malibu hood fit?

Old 02-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Default RE: 78 Monte Cowl Hood

Hello Trex,

Try this link. I was not able to find 78 hoods with the cowl together. But if you have any glass or bondo skills this could be a pretty nice project.

TVW

Old 04-27-2005, 04:11 AM

yes they make them i cant remember the company but i had one they come with different size cow els also think you can get them from 2" up to 6" Mine was a 4" cowl and i want to say i found it in street rodders int eh back with the rest of the hoods also you can get certain year Malibu parts to include the hood and front fenders but you have to fit them a bit.
Call around to some of the hood places that you can find ads for and ask them about it I know they are out there you might also check out Summit racing they might have them and some of the resto parts catalogs might have a link on their web sites also.
I didn't pay more them 200.00 for mine shipped to the door. but UPS was how it got there.

Old 04-27-2005, 03:13 PM

what exactly is a cowl hood? what purpose does it serve?

Old 04-27-2005, 03:51 PM

the idea behind them is to give you a more dense charge of air because they allow the air to come off the back of the hod instead of the front across ed the motor. Mine happen to do that and also gave me Clarence for the carb to fit under my hood with out sucking the hood down to the throat of the carb. that gives you no air flow and can really hurt your motor,
so in short they look good and have a function or two also.

true cowl inductions were on the old camaros and and others .But would open a door when you hit the gas to allow a cold air charge to come threw and allow the car to have a better air flow. also the looked mean when they opened up.they are god for more performance they work similar to a forced air induction system .

Old 04-27-2005, 04:49 PM

78-80 Cowl Hood 2"

lol, i dont care about the dense air, i need underhood room. i need a 4" now. Im goin wit the Higher Intake...

Old 04-27-2005, 05:12 PM

hey he asked LOL
i did mine for the same reason i had the holly high rise under the hood with two 1150 cfm dominators

I needed room BAD!!!
LOL
could not get a air clener on them with out it and i didnt want to cut the hood so that i could drive it daily in the rain if needed it would not fill it full of water like the bug catchers do.
i did a serch earlyier to day for monte carlo after market parts and found a web ring one of the sites had tons of links and sme had hoods to ,
you might check with summit or jegs. they both should have someting like it if not they would more then likly know where to find it.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:18 PM

thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:27 PM

boost....what intake do you run that needs that much room?

Old 04-27-2005, 11:33 PM

im gonna be runing the Edelbrock Victor JR with the extra 1", and the Nitrous Plate. Plus i want a bigger air Cleaner... If i could, i wanted a blower... But i cant sadly. Prolly build another motor with a Twin Turbo Setup

ORIGINAL: mickey

hey he asked LOL
i did mine for the same reason i had the holly high rise under the hood with two 1150 cfm dominators

I needed room BAD!!!
LOL
could not get a air clener on them with out it and i didnt want to cut the hood so that i could drive it daily in the rain if needed it would not fill it full of water like the bug catchers do.
i did a serch earlyier to day for monte carlo after market parts and found a web ring one of the sites had tons of links and sme had hoods to ,
you might check with summit or jegs. they both should have someting like it if not they would more then likly know where to find it.
I know. I just wanted to add my $.02

Quick Reply: 78 Monte Cowl Hood