General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

HIDs AND DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default HIDs AND DRLs

Ok, so I ordered a set of 55w 5000k HIDs for my monte from DDM tuning. I currently have fog lights I am running that are wired into the low beams to come on with the DRLs AND the low beams. Now I know I need to remove the DRL fuse to keep the ballasts from going bad. I really like having some type of running lights, because people around here are morons and I want all the assurance I can get that I can be seen driving down the road. So here is my plan. My fogs have a wire that goes from the relay to the headlight power wire to tell them when to come on. They use a seperate power source and ground. Now I was going to take the wire going from the relay to the low beam power wire and run it to the hot side of where the DRL fuse goes in the fuse panel instead. Hopefully it will enable my fogs to come on as DRLs and go out when the headlights come on. I dont want the fogs on at all anymore when the headlights are on. Now I figure it will either work like I want it to or worse case, they will still come on with the low beams but should definately go out when the high beams are on. So what do you guys think? Is my logic correct on this one? Think its a pretty good idea if it does end up working? I need to get the test light and make sure it will work like I want it to. If it doesnt, any ideas on another way to make this possible? I would rather them come on automatically, but if I have to I will wire them so I have to turn them on/off manually.

If this does all work out, I will post a good write-up with pictures as usual. You 6th gen guys are lucky cause your high beams are your DRLs. Us 5th gen guys have low beam DRLs.