General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The hack jobs you find in used cars! :^P

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Looks good.

Used car shopping with a friend we found a 1st gen Explorer, they had covered up rust spots with pieces of paper, taped to the car and painted over it. We went around poking holes in all that pieces of paper before we left. Inside, they had just glued a bunch of crap back on, like window and door locks. Great place! lol

Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 PM

LOL... I do hackjobs like this everyday for used lots, just put 3 cans of great stuff in the rockers of a '00 Silverado... Buyer beware

Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

That's insane... It should be illegal.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Ha. My buddy was just telling me about a 2000 silverado his dad bought...they somehow manged too tie the bed down with ratchet straps...

Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 76MCSS
LOL... I do hackjobs like this everyday for used lots, just put 3 cans of great stuff in the rockers of a '00 Silverado... Buyer beware
why??

Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by demonspeeder1
Ha. My buddy was just telling me about a 2000 silverado his dad bought...they somehow manged too tie the bed down with ratchet straps...
My brother-in-law wanted a cheap beater full size truck about 1-2 years ago. He bought a late 80's/early 90's F150.
- Gas tank held up with rachet straps
- Swapped engine, who ever did the swap cut EVERY wire connection and spliced them back together.

Had a fuel feeding problem shortly after he bought it. Him and his uncle were working on it and made things worse. Just so he could get the truck home from his uncles, the secured a small gas can under the hood and had a fuel line going from the can to the engine (it apparently did not rely on a pump in the fuel tank to pull that trick off).

He eventually found that truck to just be a huge waste and had it picked for scrape metal.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Originally Posted by 76MCSS
why??
I understand hack jobs, but there's a difference between doing something bad ignorant of knowing it's bad vs. knowing it's bad and doing it anyways.

I could NOT in good conscience do something (such as fill rockers with Great Stuff Foam) to a car that is being prepped to sell, knowing it's not just trying to hide a problem, but will accelerate the problem for the new would-be owner.

Used car dealers that use those tactics should be ran out of business and possibly face criminal charges for knowingly selling cars with these hidden problems they made worse.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 AM

i agre but unfortunitly a lot of people really dont fully look in to the vehicle when they get it and boom they get a car or truck with a ton of problems. it only takes a few minutes to go threw what you like about the vehicle and check the body fully and then check the power train. the down fall is it is hard to find a really good body with a good running power train. what i mean is there is always some one trying to sceem some one out of there money. thats why i am glad there is companies out there like carfax and otheres to do a history check on vehicles.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 AM

10 Year Member

@Monte07 - I've bought a bunch of high miles cars with no scams. I believe CarFax helps provide "piece of mind" but even without CarFax, I was still making a wise decision.
It takes learning about cars in general, to have an idea of things to look at. It's more then just look at the interior/exterior, get in drive it and decide. I like to look under the car, under the hood, check the fluids and a list of other tiny checks. I've known people who have bought serious lemons not knowing how to look at a used car.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
why??
Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I understand hack jobs, but there's a difference between doing something bad ignorant of knowing it's bad vs. knowing it's bad and doing it anyways.

I could NOT in good conscience do something (such as fill rockers with Great Stuff Foam) to a car that is being prepped to sell, knowing it's not just trying to hide a problem, but will accelerate the problem for the new would-be owner.

Used car dealers that use those tactics should be ran out of business and possibly face criminal charges for knowingly selling cars with these hidden problems they made worse.
the used car dealers dont want to pay for good work, I do what they want & I make it very clear to them that it will not last, what they tell theyre buyers is up to them. I also do a lot of cars that go to Mecum & a few that went to Barret-Jackson about 50% of these cars are hackjobs too but they look great on tv.

Quick Reply: The hack jobs you find in used cars! :^P