General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The hack jobs you find in used cars! :^P

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member
Default The hack jobs you find in used cars! :^P

WELL. This evenin' I decided to try to repair my rear driver's side "door" panel, for the vinyl section was popping out of the plastic. I had glued it a few times, but came back off. SO...I took out the entire panel to try to fix it. It's un repairable, so I have to get a new one. But I digress. That's not what this is about! It's what I found BEHIND the "door" panel. A HUGE gaping hole, patched with ye old duct tape! It seems, that when the "crunch" on the outside happened, they dum dum owneh decided to take off the "door" panel (breaking it in the meantime), cutting a hole in the car, and hammering the dents out! Unbelievable! Anywho, here ah some peektures!!!!!! :^D

Hammer marks!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Thats nothing. I got a chrysler van in the shop to fix the rusted out rocker panels. They had been fixed once before and they rusted out again. Once I started picking at the rust I found a chunk of paper towel sticking out. I started pulling out the towel and found more. By the time I was done I pulled enough paper towels out of the rocker panel to fill up the trash can. They stuffed the rusty rocker panel with paper towels and then bondoed over it. I wonder why it rusted out again?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Photobucket
1 Year Member

RoFl! :*P

Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 PM

Wow, just wow. I've run into a few surprises like that myself over the years. LOL

Last edited by KJRich; 06-04-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Gotta have something for the bondo to stick to, its too expensive to fill in a whole rocker. Ha.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow! Kyle. Looks like the previous owner used the jaws of life to fix the car. After seeing that, I'd be afraid to stick my hands into any tight spaces in your car. You might come out with one hell of an injury!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK these hack jobs I did myself as a kid (sorry no pics)

1) fixed a single barrel carb in a 62 comet with a tomato paste can. I shoved the can down the barrel to fix something forget what

2) On a 65 mustang fixed a leak under the cowel vent with a toilet seal wax ring

3) On 62 comet fixed floor boards with plywood and tar. Dad always said if I didnt die in a wreak the splinters would get me

Last edited by Tadcaster; 06-05-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
OK these hack jobs I did myself as a kid (sorry no pics)

1) fixed a single barrel carb in a 62 comet with a tomato paste can. I shoved the can down the barrel to fix something forget what

2) On a 65 mustang fixed a leak under the cowel vent with a toilet seal wax ring

3) On 62 comet fixed floor boards with plywood and tar. Dad always said if I didnt die in a wreak the splinters would get me
LOL I like #2.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Photobucket
1 Year Member

I somewhat patched the hole with sheet metal, and silicone. What I didn't have enough for I finished with tape like before. Hey, I put the brain into it, lol.

I went to salvage, and found a replacement panel. However, it was broken the same was as my old one, but repairable. Cost me $5.

And installed!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen lots of rust holes filled with Great Stuff Foam....

My daily driver, a '94 Grand Am recently developed a small hole at the firewall (I found it searching for why the passenger side carpet was becoming a swimming pool). Being a '94, with over 200,000 miles, I decided it was not worth the hassle to remove all the stuff in the way on the firewall.... Instead, I went for a cheap-o band aid.... I broke away the rust and sucked it up with the shop vac, then I used half a tube of silcon caulking to fill in the hole, a piece of plastic bag to help hold the chaulking (and create "shield" so I could up the padding and carpet back in place). End result, dry car and chaulking to my knowledge does not promot rust.

If this was a newer car, that I had higher expectations on how long I'd continue to own it or it was a collector vehicle, this would have been handled differently.

Quick Reply: The hack jobs you find in used cars! :^P