General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is better.

Attached Thumbnails  Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos-photo0018.jpg    Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos-photo0017.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

WOW Flash, that thing was trashed. Coulnt tell what it was except for the body line on front fender. Noone injured. Gotta hate those drunk drivers. I also was rear ended by one but not to that extent.

Last edited by 77gp; 01-26-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: changes
Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 PM

God, I feel like I haven't been on in forever..and I wish I came back for a better reason..Last Wednesday I went back to school (college sophomore), I had terrible toothaches that week, to the point where I would breakdown because I couldn't stand it anymore. So I went home last Friday and got the tooth pulled Saturday morning. Saturday couldn't have been better. The Novocaine actually worked for me (it usually never does) and I think I was in and out in 15 minutes. Then I won some money playing Golden Tee, so I was feeling good. I wasn't tired or anything and my space where the tooth used to be finally stopped bleeding, so my parents let me drive back to school. It was about 5pm and I just got on i80 off of i55. 3 jagoffs in 3 seperate cars, decided to make an illegal u-turn in the authorized vehicles only spot. I had a raised pickup truck in front of me and I couldn't see past him. He hit his brakes and so did I, but then he swerved over very quickly and then the worse that could happen, did happen. I slammed on my brakes but there was a Trailblazer stopped dead, not too far in front of me (a car length away maybe?) and I slammed into the back of this blazer. I'm perfectly fine, both airbags deployed and my ears popped, but I put the car in park and shut her off and got out. The entire front end was smashed in. This picture is crappy cuz of course, for once, I didn't have any of my video cameras with me and for some reason I didn't think to take a video with my cell phone.

But it's worse than it seems. I'm grateful that I am ok, but part of me wishes that if I could trade breaking a few bones or getting some bruises, and my car being repairable, then I would def do that. I've never broken a thing, never been to the hospital for anything (other then babies being born and such) and before last Saturday, I was never in an accident in my 4 years of driving. Luckily I didn't get a ticket because the couple in the blazer told the officer that it wasn't my fault and told them about the 3 ******** making the illegal u-turn. So I'm lucky that I didn't get a ticket but I would do anything to get my Monte back. The insurance company just told us yesterday that they are totaling it and giving us $9,000 for it. That's amazing, because it was an 02 SS with 45000 miles on it and we/I took care of like it was family. Me and my parents didn't expect that much but still, I miss that car already and I wish that I could take that night back in a second and just stayed home like my dad wanted me too.

I also found an 04 Dale Jr. Monte SS about 20 minutes away from my house that has 5000 miles on it and the guy wants 13,000 for it. It still has the factory plastic on it and such. I doubt my parents will let me/us get it, but it's worth the shot. Sorry for the long ramble, haha.

R.I.P. Monte Carlo SS

Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 PM

I know how you feel, it's like losing part of the family. I know you'll miss your Monte, but just be glad your not in the hospital, there are still good Monte's out there, and I'm sure one's waiting for you.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Default 87 Aero was stolen

I had an 87 Aerocoupe. I got it from a Honda dealers mall parking lot tent sale, when it was 6 months old for a heck of a deal. (they did not know what they had).
I had always loved the SS, but by the time I could even think of buying one, they quit making them. At that time, I did not know anything about the Aerocoupe either, but this one just looked cool.

Drove it for 10 years and 130k miles as a daily driver. Loved that car.

One Christmas at my sons Jr High xmas special, someone decided they wanted it worse than me. They took it right out of the schools crowded parking lot. I walked out with both my kids in tow, on that rainy, cold Dec. night and it was no where to be found.
Talking about a sinking feeling.
After the fist of the year, the local police called me to inform they had found it and where to go see it.
When I arrived at the impound lot, I ended up walking by it twice without seeing it. One of the attendants had to take me to it and put my hand on what was left.

After the Insurance company and I went around 3 or 4 times before I accepted their pay out, I ended up buying the shell back for $150 because I knew the rear window was worth 10x that. I also had some aspirations of rebuilding it some day.
With the pay out, I located the '86 Aero in Ohio (knowing exactly what It was, and how rare it was). Shipped it home, drove it for a month, then started the restoration.
This brought me down do earth, as I was never going to afford to restore 2, so it set in the back yard for years.

Now my son got interested in building a car, so I made him a deal, and gave him the shell.
He found a doner SS and we swapped the parts to the Aerocoupe and sent it off to paint.

So Now the engine and trans are rebuilt and in the car. Soon interior and exhaust to be completed, and it will live again. His goal is to show it with DADs car. The only two years that the Aerocoupe were actually manufactured.

A sad story, with a happy ending.
Really proud of my son. Started it when he was 19, took a few years as funds came around. But he will have one heck of a ride when it is done.

Gery

Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1KOOL86
A sad story, with a happy ending.
Really proud of my son. Started it when he was 19, took a few years as funds came around. But he will have one heck of a ride when it is done.

Gery
Despite the sad story, great pics to go with it. That is actually pretty awesome how now that gutted shell became your son's car!!!

It's not a Monte, but my '84 Camaro (I consider it a close relative to a Motne) took a beating back in January of '99 (guy in front of me smashed his breaks and when I smashed mine, I lost control fo the car, rear end smashed a telephone pull, crushing the rear quarter and cracking an axel shaft).

My dad spent a lot of time fixing the rear end. Long story short about 6 months later a body shop put on a new quarter and other pieces, car drove like new.

I drove it until the engine spun a rod bearing in 2002. At this point, I want to completely restore the car (as it needs a little work here and there and really needs a new paint job).

Here are the updates on my SLOW restore progress:
Rebirth: 6/27/04-Unknown - Z28 Return From a 2 Year Rest

Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 PM

I bought this 1995 LS in May 2003. (Dick Haskins GMC)
3.1L w/ 64,000 miles on it, & very well kept ... And very well stock, until I got my mitts on it!!! (I was the 3rd owner, & I still have the original dealer window sticker from it.)

Finally this past spring, the harsh winters of Central New York got the best of the brake(s) system to the point that I was not going to dump $700-800+ into it - & deal with flaking rust/shale crap in my face, etc., & ripping half the bay apart to replace the booster, etc. - only to start chasing MORE issues soon after. So I decided it was time to post it on CraigsList, & let 'er hit the hook, & make weight for someone ... A week later, on a Sunday morn, I was handed $400, & the man raised it on the hook & rolled to the left out of my driveway. Never had a car leave me like that. Call me WOTM (Wimp of the Month), but it felt weird. Had been through a lot, & had been many places with that car. Had just shy of 111,000 miles when it hit the crusher less than 24 hours later ...

Just over three months later, my patience paid off, & I found this beauty ...

2003 SS (Private seller)
3.8L with 42,000 miles on it, & very well kept ... And very well stock, until I got my mitts on it!!! (Where have I heard that before?!) (I am the 2nd owner, & I have the original dealer window sticker for it.)

Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 PM

I wish I knew where my parents 87 SS was. I came home a newborn baby from the hospital in it. It was the first car I ever rode in. We had it until about the year 2000 when we sold it to a younger guy from Fredrick, Maryland. We then got my parents current Monte the 2000 SS. My dad put a lot of work in the 87. He repainted it while we had it among a lot of other things. The last picture is after he painted it.

Attached Thumbnails  Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos-scan0001.jpg    Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos-scan0002.jpg    Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos-scan0003.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM

Somewhere, I have some actual pictures of my first Monte Carlo. It used to belong to my dad, it was '74, baby blue beast.

Just, HUGE vehicle, and I loved it. I guess I set my claim on it when I was about 4 years old, apparently :p

I have a few pictures. It fell to disuse/disrepair when I left for college, and I haven't been able to get it back, I think my mom mistaken let it go to the junk heap. I don't know, every time I ask her I get a different answer and it's been years now.

I had replaced the motor, the carbuerator, a transmission, starter, spark plugs, and so so much more on that car!

Man, I really miss the swivel seats and the T-top, even the crappy ol' 8-track player (yep! it totally had one).

Really, really loved that car.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Went to the dealer to pick up some parts and saw this sitting in their parking lot...

Attached Thumbnails  Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos-img_0176.jpg  

Quick Reply: Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos