General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

GM Recall on 3800 3.8-liter V6 Cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:01 AM

Come on people, on this web site, how many of you have SEEN a car do this???

Think it might have been a problem from the beginning if that is what is going on.

Some of these recalls are just lawyers finding crap to get paid to fight.

in 31 Years I have NEVER seen a 3.8L engine fire because of this.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Got notice in the mail few days ago, GM recall 15757 no parts available yet they will replace front valve cover and gasket, will remove plastic "beauty" cover, oil-fill-tube extension. I will go with cover /gasket but I will keep cover/tube.

Malcolm
2000 SS

Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Got my notice Monday

Old 12-16-2015, 11:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hoss Lanier
Come on people, on this web site, how many of you have SEEN a car do this???
I was thinking the same thing.

The valve covers, gaskets and plug wire guide that attaches to the valve cover have been 100% identical since at least the '93 3300 (a different v6, but based off the 3800 block). I've owned two 3300's ('93 Century and Grand Am). This design may span back further then that.

I see some people up in arms over this. My thoughts are:
- This design is now 22+ years old, I have yet to hear of anyone having a car fire because of it.
- The 3100/3400 uses the same gasket material for the valve covers, and those covers sit almost 100% vertical, no one has had an issue with fires from oil leaks.
- As mentioned, this was not a problem out of the gate, brand new.

I suspect the root cause is either valve covers that were removed/re-installed (such as doing a head gasket) and the gasket was not properly seated. The other possible cause, the gaskets eventually fail because nothing lasts forever. You have so many materials and ways to produce these gaskets. None of them can last 100% forever. It could also be perhaps during a certain era, the company GM used to make the gaskets had a problem in manufacturing that causes pre-mature break down ( if that is the case, GM should not be 100% to blame).
I am going to assume actual car fires have resulted because of this valve cover issue. That being said, I wonder what the age and mileage is on the cars that did this and if the covers have ever been removed.

GM telling you NOT to store the car in the garage is protecting themselves. If they are alerting you to a possible fire hazard, it seems like a legal bad idea to say "but it's cool, park in the garage". That's just bad advice.

And for those hating on GM for this, the issue is, all the manufactures have recalls or problems of some kind, but not ALL of them get made into a media circus. No car is perfect!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Hoss, I was thinking the same thing. I had old small blocks with leaky valve covers that never burst into flames.
Granted, my Monte needs valve cover gaskets. At least the front one but before this recall I had planned to do both of them anyway. I may end up doing it myself anyway if this drags out too long.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Unhappy 2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L Engine Fire

-VIN: 2G1WX15K319188793 -Year: 2001 -Make: Chevrolet -Model: Monte Carlo -Trim Level: SS -Engine Type: 3.8L V6 OHV 12V -Manufactured In: CANADA .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
We purchased car used in Oct 2011. It was previously owned since new by our mechanic's wife to commute to her nursing job at the hospital. All recalls were up to date. The recall #2009047 Engine Compartment Fire notice arrived late in August 2012 and two spark plug retainers were installed at the dealer September 18, 2012 for no charge. Regular routine service completed including tune-ups, oil changes, brake, and tire maintenance. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
On Nov 18, 2013, an engine compartment fire started after being driven 6.8 miles at 45 mph, then parked for about 5 minutes. With no other obvious clues, noticeable smoke began to emanate from under the hood near the windshield. The hood remained cool to the touch. Immediately after the hood was lifted, the entire engine compartment was engulfed in fire. Although everything above the engine was completely destroyed, the fire appeared to have started near the windshield on the driver's side. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....
We reported the fire to GM Customer Service but they seemed completely uninterested. We spoke to Chris 866-790-5700 Ext 21310 who gave us a File # 71-124-8650284. Three weeks later they finally called us back to say there was nothing they could do and there would be no investigation. They suggested we let our insurance take care of it.

Last edited by everybodydance; 12-17-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 PM
Default Oil is combustable

Oil is combustible not flammable, regular oil has a flash point of 400F or greater, once reaching the flash point it will produce flammable vapors, how hot does exhaust manifold get?. You would still need an ignition source to ignite vapor, maybe leaky high voltage (bad plug wires?) at any rate I will take free valve cover and gasket installed.

Malcolm
2000SS

Old 12-18-2015, 10:00 AM

I also plan to take the engine cover and oil fill tube off before it goes in. I had an 01 Regal 3800 that I took the cover off along with the oil fill tube and had a hard time pouring oil in without the fill tube. I'm not an engineer but I don't see how the cover has anything to do with a leaky valve cover.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:38 AM

THERE IS A UPDATE ON THE RECALL. YOU WILL BE GETTING IT IN THE MAIL. I work at a chevy dealer and yeah all that we have to do is put a new front valve cover and gasket on. and we have to discard the engine cover. so if you want to keep yours I sugest taking it off before bringing it in.

Last edited by minicupracer1; 03-26-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:31 PM

The recall is for the rear valve cover and gasket not the front on and its because the heat from the exhaust warps the rear valve cover and lets the oil leak out onto the cat witch causes the fire.

Quick Reply: GM Recall on 3800 3.8-liter V6 Cars