General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

"ethical" Monte Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:33 AM

LOL ~ LOL `Rock N `Wayne....That was a funny
It's the early morn'in hour on Sunday, & I'm wait'in 4 the morning trucks to arrive : (.....I really needed a `laugh.....Great post LOL

Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Okay, never mind the Intimidator for a second. I think the Intimidator might be too new, and too readily available for this question.

Let's use a less available car. Let's say it's a showroom condition 1973 Monte. How do you feel about someone modding it slightly? Or how about if that person wanted to completely gut it, tub it (cut out the rear floor pan and wheel wells to make room for racing slicks), weld in a roll cage, and turn it into a racecar?

I think we all agree that it's that person's car, and they're allowed to do what they want to it. But that's not the question.

The question is what are YOUR feelings about the owner doing that to a rare vehicle? Hell, it doesn't even have to be a Monte if you want. Pick any rare vehicle.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I think that it depends on the condition of the car. If you have a mint condition Intimidator, then it should be left alone. OR for that matter, ANYTHING that is mint. Still, you should drive it like its meant to be driven. I don't mind seeing a cherryed out 70 Monte, but i also love seeing one that can breath fire.

Ultimately, its the owners choice and think it reflex on the owner. If your ****, then its going to sit in an air conditioned garage. if your not, then your going to love every single mile that car can bring you.

Me? I would drive it till wheels fall off.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:06 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think its ok to do some mods. Like repainting it a different color would be pointless, unless it looked good. Im sure there will be plenty still around some day, no monte owners gonna crush it LOL

Old 05-17-2009, 11:07 PM

thanks guys, i appreciate all the opinions

this is relatively new territory for me, so again, thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 11:31 PM

You can think of it this way too...

If you own a limited edition, and someone else is tearing apart another car of that same edition: that makes your car even more limited.

So, now the rest of us with Intimidators have one of 3999 instead of one of 4000 because of the guy that gutted his to race it.

I say do whatever you want with your car. It's yours after all.
I may not like what other people do with their cars, but I also don't understand why some people get so upset when someone does something (or even likes something) that doesn't suit there own tastes.

It's a Monte. Have fun with it.
If it makes you happy, then to hell with what anyone else thinks.

-Riggs.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No widebody kit please

Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by biggriggs
You can think of it this way too...

If you own a limited edition, and someone else is tearing apart another car of that same edition: that makes your car even more limited.

So, now the rest of us with Intimidators have one of 3999 instead of one of 4000 because of the guy that gutted his to race it.

I say do whatever you want with your car. It's yours after all.
I may not like what other people do with their cars, but I also don't understand why some people get so upset when someone does something (or even likes something) that doesn't suit there own tastes.

It's a Monte. Have fun with it.
If it makes you happy, then to hell with what anyone else thinks.

-Riggs.
I was thinking the same thing when I ran across the unibody of a Dale Jr edition for sale on the net. Someone's Dale Jr edition got stolen and stripped by a chop shop. Only the frame was recovered. On one hand it was a shame to see it gone like that. But on the other hand, there is nothing I can do about it, and it make mine one of 2882 instead of 2883. That I know of anyway.

Personally, I love driving mine. If I wanted to sit and stare at it never moving, that's what the scale model is for. Or pictures. I plan on keeping mine looking as good as possible. Already started ordering replacement decals if/when the originals deteriorate and need to be replaced years from now.

I also plan on installing a CAI, black headlights, and I'm considering painting the "teeth" in the lower grill gloss black to match the ground effects.

The collectibility of the driver edition 6th gen Montes (Dale Sr, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Dale Jr) in the long run is debateable. They are so plentiful right now, sellers are having a hard time selling some of them. Especially the Junior editions. But will they be a collectors item 20 or 30 years from now? Who knows?

Most things labelled "collector's edition" by the manufacturer will never be a collector's item. Most of them are overproduced, or people horde them away and the numbers never dwindle enough to be a collector's item. A good example is sports cards.

Hockey card manufacturers in the past 10-15 years flooded the market so much, 99% of the cards are completely worthless and always will be.

With 4000 Intimidators made, will the numbers ever truely dwindle enough to be highly collectible to anyone other than a Dale Sr fan? Will there be a demand for them 30 years from now?

Ironically, one of the most rare cars now is the Dodge Coronet; a car that was never meant to be collectible. Simple reason is because Hollywood used (and destroyed) almost all of them in tv shows and movies back in the 70's & 80's.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:56 AM

thats all im sayin! a monte will always be treasured by the owner

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM

its also mater of opinoin putting some better looking rims than some steel rims. is a little different but gutting and tubbing is ridiculis to my opinion

Quick Reply: "ethical" Monte Question