General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

"ethical" Monte Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Default "ethical" Monte Question

So ive probably spent about 10 hours since i got my baby two days ago looking over possible mods, writing down in order what i should do...but i cant help to think...

Should monte's that are limited be moded? Obviously they were designed to look a specific way....but at the same time i think i could make it look alot better....

i guess what im asking is, is against monte etiquitte to mod limited ed's? I come across the analogy of would you add something to the mona lisa if you could? (forgive me if that sounds pretentious, i just love my car)

I know ultimately its my car and my decision, I would just like some opinions from all

Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i'm sure you'll find plenty of intimidator, earnhardt and pace car limited edition cars modded around here. from minimal to extreme. aren't rules (and limits) meant to be broken?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not wrong as long as everything you do is an easy bolt-on application and you can return it to stock if ever needed. (or if it is for performance)

because honestly, by adding a downpipe or a CAI you are adding to the value of the car, not taking away from it.

But if you buy an LE, de-badge it, paint it, decal it... I think it's wrong.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Hi `Invictus,
I think each owner should make their Monte the way they like,
but one has to remember that certain mod's can decrease
future sale. You may love what you have done, but it
may not be for everyone. If it's a life keeper, then I would
do any mod that you could afford to `do & make it yours.

Professional Performace mod's can add vallue, but if a
true collector is look'in 4 one like yours, he will walk away
if the mod's can't be reversed.
I like 2 `ghost my cars, and remove emblems, & add
my desire size/style wheel, & also `if I want a expert
air brush'er to do some minor artistic schemes to make
it my auto statement, that it's all mine

Let us know what your plans are, but remember,
U R the one that gave `up 2 get it, & will be giving `up
2 keep it...Your call.
Good Luck from `Space

Old 05-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

It's not wrong but I won't mod mine. It's just a personal preference.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

That's a very good issue to bring up. Very debatable.

Let's take the Intimidator edition for example.

Recently someone posted parts for sale in the forum's classified section. They were parts for a 2004 Intimidator. The owner said in his ad that he bought the car specifically because it had the L67 engine and tranny combo. His intention was to gut the car and race it. He admitted that he had no interest in the collectability or limited edition status of the car. He wanted a supercharged V6 Monte for the purpose of racing, and he got one. It just happened to be an Intimidator edition.

Is it a shame to do that to a rare car? In my opinion, yes, of course. But it is his car and I can't tell him what to do with it. In my opinion, that's a better example of the ethical question you asked. That car will never be able to be returned to original condition.

Now on the other hand, when you compare that with what some of the other members here have done to their Intimidator editions, they're really not ruining the car or it's collectibility.

Aftermarket wheels, exhaust, tail lights, headlights, stereos, CAI, PCM tuning. Those are all things that can be easily reversed if need be. They don't permanently ruin the original car.

Now if I was to take my 2004 Dale Jr edition (which is red with the #8 and DEI stripes), and remove the stripes and repaint the car Amp green and renumber it 88 in an effort to make it like Dale Jr's new car. That would be wrong. And stupid really, since his 88 car is an Impala.

So that's my take on your question.

Debate away!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i don't think the 6th and 7th gen going to be worth that much as the 4th gen and on down. those are the real muscle car that most collectors want.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

me, quite honestly would not mess around with an INTIMIDATOR edition, only make changes that could be put back to the collectibillitly factor is what i may do. just my opinion. the man in black was 1 badass man, and to do that to his edition of vehicles would be very wrong. that is just me!

chris

Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 PM

some of you guys sound a little crazy. its just a car people, seriously! unless you car is in perfect condition with no miles in original condition its not going to give you millions of $'s. if someone wants to hack the crap out of their "limited edition" car, its their free will to. if you intimidator is over 10,000 miles its not going to be in collectors condition any longer. ultimately a car is just a car. you can always find a intimidator ss on sale for cheap so how limited is limited?! sorry im just a little more open minded

Old 05-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Messin' with a signature series car is just SACRILEGE I tell ya! SACRILEGE! I couldn't EVEN imagine modding something like the Intimidator SS. No WAY, NEVER! Couldn't do it! Why would someone want to do THAT to such a fine automobile? Why would someone want to add 75 HP, or a 1300 watt stereo system, 12" speakers, or 18" chrome wheels?
WHY???????
WHUT!

Quick Reply: "ethical" Monte Question