General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Engine and Engine Compartment Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Engine and Engine Compartment Cleaning?

What is the best or the safest way to clean my engine and the engine compartment. I wan't to really det it looking nice under the hood and I'm not too happy about the stuff like "The spilled-oil-look" the PO or some careless mechanic left behind when they added oil to the engine. Can the engine compartment handle pressure washing after an application of some Engine Cleaner or Detergent?

I just got this car running better thann when I got it so I don't want to mess-up a component part and get the little yellow flashing engine on the dash board lit-up again.

I know you guys Pimp and Detail. What will clean my engine up without shorting something out of wrecking sensitive ignition parts?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Engine and Engine Compartment Cleaning?

my dad uses a concentrated chrome and aluminum polish in a spray bottle with a pressure washer on his truck.. i just sprayed the chemical on my car, scrubbed everywhere with a small brush the best i could, and then sprayed ti down with the garden hose. if you're going to hit it with a pressure washer, there are so many little thin things like fuel lines and the such i wuold be scared to hit. my engine came out quite clean, and with my painted engine cover, looked very sharp

Old 12-24-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's the "Clean" look I'm going for. I want to get the grime off everything and then wipe-down or paint-brush on some Armoral on all the ribber parts. I've seen people pressure wash their engines and engine compartments but I figured with all the senders and sensors there are connected to the V6 onn this Monte ... It probably wouldn't be a good idea to apply water pressure on anything.

When the ice and snow season is over and I can think about doing a cleaning ... the Manager at AutoZone recommended a STP Spray-on de-greaser and a low water pressure rinse-off.
The stuff is supposed to work as good as GUNK Engine De-Greaser. I have a feeling I'm going to need a strong product. Somebody was careless putting Oil in without a funnel, it looks like ... because there is a spill stain right at where the Oil Fill Cap is going straight down the engine and on everything on the way down.

I have "The Bug" about getting this Monte Carlo all pimped nice and clean for those times whenn somebody wants to look under the hood. Why some people want to see a bare-bones stock engine ... you'll have to ask them. I just would like it to be clean and presentable.

I just want to be sure to side-step anything stupid.
I already spent a few days digging-out from breaking a Spark Plug Wire.
But, that story had a Fairytale Ending ... because now I have New Plugs and Wires that are performance rated.

Rick Massey

Old 12-24-2007, 04:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I have been very fortunate using the "self-carwash" spray and wax.

When I owned a Cadillac, washing the engine compartment was a "no-no" because of the delicate electroncs.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM

I use Purple Power. Warm up the engine....just warm then spray it on. Wait about 10 minutes and rinse off with the garden hose. Done this for years and never once had a problem with it. Oh,by the way....if you clean your shower or tub with this stuff, mildew is gone like forever! No kidding.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The only additional piece of advice I would like to add is, if you have the plastic engine cover on your engine, remove it and clean it by hand. Don't use a pressure washer on it, or else it'll end up like this: (see attached pic)

BTW - the dealership did this when they wanted to clean it up for me. I know others here have/had similar looking engine covers thanks to a pressure washer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2963/B2C542D999774D6E928DCE8A2678934E.jpg[/IMG]