General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

ECM/PCM Performance Tuners...Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Default ECM/PCM Performance Tuners...Opinions

I am looking for some input from some MCF members that have had performance tuning done on their Monte Carlo. I have a 2007 SS that I amdefinitely going to have tuned or tune myself. There is a tuner shop in my area that will tune it for me using HP Tuners software. I can purchase a tuned ECM & TCM from Vector Performance. Diablo still does not have a tuner for 2007's. I'm considering buying the HP Tuners VCM Suite package and doing it myself. Anyone here have any experience with the HP Tuners software? I am a Chevy dealer technician so I am no stranger to module programming using the Tech 2 scan tool but I know the HP Tuners stuff is a whole different deal. I already own the laptop and I am not opposed to spending the cash on the HP package.Any input on this would be much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: ECM/PCM Performance Tuners...Opinions

I had mine tuned at Carolina Auto Masters in Durham, NC on the dyno... in my mind, very well worth it. I'm sure you've already researched what they do online... well I think it was worth the $350 I spent to have it done.

Of course mine is an 03.. but I hear it is very wroht the money to cut hte DoD off on your 06-07 SS's... Plus, to reset the shift points and slightly adjust your timing... very well worht it. I picked up 3 theths of a second, and about 1.5 mph on the 1/8 mile track down the road from me. I don't know what I could have picked up on the quarter.

In my opinion, no matter which way you go, its worht the tune.

It was worth ti to me because I don't have the laptop to get mine tuned... so if you already have a laptop, I think it will be tough to learn the program, but you'll love it once you get it figured out. I think you should get the program nad tune it yourself since you already have a basic knowledge of the comptuer in the car.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM

Contact the head of cartuning.ca. They have a turbo kit out for the LS4... turbo + stock LS4 = 400+whp. It will be tuned for you, so you don't have to waste time buying a tuner, unless you want to be able to change things up.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: lav74

Contact the head of cartuning.ca. They have a turbo kit out for the LS4... turbo + stock LS4 = 400+whp. It will be tuned for you, so you don't have to waste time buying a tuner, unless you want to be able to change things up.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Kevin needs to update his website with a news link or something. He doesn't even have that info on the future products.

As for the HP Tuners software it is a dream. Very easy to navigate and they have 3D graphs for fuel mapping and a few other things. That may not be much to you, but I'm notorious for missing details every so often and by being able to look at my map in 3D I can see if I missed a decimal somewhere by seeing a friggin huge spike shooting off my map.

I haven't had a chance to tune my vehicle yet but I maybe doing that soon. I didn't plan to take the car out in the winter, but I just got a $275 deal on $600 tires so I want them mounted!!! I plan on taking a few quick scans then to see where I'm at and what I can improve.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 AM

Check this site out:
http://www.nelsonperformance.com/
They sell a mail order PCM tune for the LS4, and it can be customized to your mods.
From what I hear thay have a great rep in the LSX tunning world.
I myself am thinking of this as a future mod after I get an exaust.
Or like yourself I might just get the HPT Suite and try to teach myslef how to tune.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 AM

Of course mine is an 03.. but I hear it is very wroht the money to cut hte DoD off on your 06-07 SS's... Plus, to reset the shift points and slightly adjust your timing... very well worht it
He's right. Your car can benefit like crazy from a great tune. I think his name is (KissMySS07) is running mid 13's with just a good tune and a CAI!!!! PM him, see what he did, but I think he had a great tune..

In stock form those SS's are factory restricted... but throw in a tune, and you'll be running mid 13's before you know it =)

Good luck!!!

And Dan (04Intimidator) is right, the HP tuners software is magic... that company SHOULD have no problem tuning your car in to MILK the horsepower out of it!

Keep us updated!