General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

drag racing my monte??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Default drag racing my monte??

So tonight I went to the tuesday night street legal drag races held at the strip near my house. I always wanted to watch it and see what kinda cars run there. I enjoyed it so much im convinced im gonna run my car there. The thing is I was talking to my dad and he thinks i could damage something. I disagree because my car is almost bone stock and aren't cars desighned stock to be floored and not damage anything if you let it cool down enough between runs? Just need opinions

Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Default RE: drag racing my monte??

personally i wouldnt be afraid to run mine, basicly the track is sticker, so it is easier to break drivetrain parts. cars that might spin thier tires on any street surface, may just grab traction and go, putting more force on parts than if they were just spining. i dont think many stock vehicles would have a problem, but i'm sure there are exceptions to that.

aside from you breaking your own car, another danger is that if you have a dail in of say 15 seconds and are paired up against someone witha 11, you get a 4 second head start,at the end of the race the other car meets you at the line going 50mph faster than you, if they lost control they could take out you and your car.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 PM

the 2nd thing you said I don't have to worry about because all races are heads up

Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Yellow_Monte

the 2nd thing you said I don't have to worry about because all races are heads up
Yellow Monte Carlo, go to the track & test your Monte : )
Click below link for Drag Racing 101, it helped me : )
Please post `if you Race & let the forum know `ok
EnJoy the Power, the `fun
- It's difficult to lose your licenseat a legal track +
get your auto insurance cancelled for "STREET RAC'IN"
I'm paying for that mistake now : (
Track Rac'in is the Safest Way 2 Run : ) & it's FUN
[:-]Click it [:-]

Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i really want to go, but my dad keeps reminding me if anything happens there your car is not insured there, so if you lose control and go into the wall, or the other car all expense is out of your wallet, thats what scares me

Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 AM

Life is a Gamble,
but you can't have any fun unless you play !
You got to take that chance sometimes
and roll the dices
Life's a Risk, how big of a Risk are you going to take ?
Consider the odd's & then decide.....We live & hopefully
learn as we travel our `journey of life.
But, it's sure a lot more fun when your Rac'in your Monte : )

Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just a little insight.

I did the Montes @ MIS event back in april of this year. IT WAS COOL!!!!!

Roughly 60 Montes and we had MIS all to ourselves. We each got 2 full laps and then we did a group lap (imagine 60 Monte Carlos in a pack out on a Nascar track) together that ended in group photos. All for $45.

Okay we were only allowed 75mph tops (beats the Vette guys, they're allowed 35mph when they're there). But 75 was fast enough to give you the feel of being on the track.

Would I do it again? H--L YES!!!!!
Would my auto insurance like it? Beats me, I didn't bother asking them???????????????????????
Will I remember doing this the rest of my life?? H--L YES!!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 AM

Well, anytime you floor it you are going to cause some unnessessary wear, but your dad is also calling from experiance where the typical life of the engine was 90K. Now it's closer to 200K.

Doing it a few times in the big scheme of things won't hurt much, but if you doburnout 1 a day like some idiots around me you are going to break quick. I've seen a few people blow their stock engine in 50,000.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

rj!!! now your making me jelous, i'm definetely going next year, all 60 were going 75?? were you ever worried about another guy slipping up??

Old 06-22-2007, 04:01 PM

@ MIS, no we only went 75 (i got up to 80) when we went solo around the track, when all 60 of us where on the track it was alot slower

also I've decided according to what most people said to run at the drags, I got some friends coming to. The cars they drive range quite a bit, 1970 GTO, 1995 Cadillac Deville, 2001 Mustang V6, and then my monte. Should be fun, ill prob get some video footage of it all too