Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

= = DRAG RACING 101 = =

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default = = DRAG RACING 101 = =

[align=center][/align][align=center]Drag racing made easy[/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center]A drag race is an acceleration contest from a standing start between two vehicles over a measured distance. The accepted standard for that distance is either a quarter-mile (1,320 feet) or an eighth-mile (660 feet). A drag racing event is a series of such two-vehicle, tournament-style eliminations. The losing driver in each race is eliminated, and the winning drivers progress until one driver remains. [/align][align=center]These contests are started by means of an electronic device commonly called a Christmas Tree because of its multicolored starting lights. On each side of the Tree are seven lights: two small amber lights at the top of the fixture, followed in descending order by three larger LED lights, a green bulb, and a red bulb. [/align][align=center]Two light beams cross the starting-line area and connect to trackside photocells, which are wired to the Christmas Tree and electronic timers in the control tower. When the front tires of a vehicle break the first light beam, called the prestage beam, the pre-stage light on the Christmas Tree indicates that the racer is approximately seven inches from the starting line. [/align][align=center]When the racer rolls forward into the stage beam, the front tires are positioned exactly on the starting line and the stage bulb is lit on the Tree, which indicates that the vehicle is ready to race. When both vehicles are fully staged, the starter will activate the Tree, and each driver will focus on the three large amber lights on his or her side of the Tree. [/align][align=center]Depending on the type of racing, all three large amber lights will flash simultaneously, followed four-tenths of a second later by the green light (called a Pro Tree), or the three bulbs will flash consecutively five-tenths of a second apart, followed five-tenths later by the green light (called a Sportsman, or full, Tree). [/align][align=center]Two Separate performances are monitored for each run: elapsed time and speed. Upon leaving the staging beams, each vehicle activates an elapsed-time clock, which is stopped when that vehicle reaches the finish line. The start-to-finish clocking is the vehicle's elapsed time (e.t.), which serves to measure performance. Speed is measured in a 66-foot "speed trap" that ends at the finish line. Each lane is timed independently. [/align][align=center]The first vehicle across the finish line wins, unless, in applicable categories, it runs quicker than its dial-in or index (see glossary). A racer also may be disqualified for leaving the starting line too soon, leaving the lane boundary (either by crossing the centerline, touching the guardwall or guardrail, or striking a track fixture such as the photocells), failing to stage, or failing a post-run inspection (in NHRA class racing, vehicles usually are weighed and their fuel checked after each run, and a complete engine teardown is done after an event victory). [/align][align=center]________________________[/align][align=center]
Championship Drag Racing
[/align][align=center][URL=http://espn.go.com/][b][IMG]http://www.nhra.c

Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Default RE: = = DRAG RACING 101 = =

Was the above post helpful or a waste of your time : ) ?
Member's Post your Tips/Tricks/Comments
On Your Drag Racing Experience
Have you been a Winner ?
[:-]

Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Well posted.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM

[align=center]MCF Member's[/align][align=center][sm=gears.gif][sm=gears.gif][/align][align=center]_____________________[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Post your 1/4 mile times for your Monte Carlo's +[/align][align=center]Top Speed[/align][align=center][:-][/align]

Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 AM

In the spring when it finally gets warm again in this part of the world a few guys in the shop where I work and some from a local tuner shop are going to rent a 1/4 mile dragstrip not far from here for a day. We get about 20 people and the cost is pretty reasonable for each person.The track supplies a couple of employees to run the timing equipment and naturally we have to sign off on the liability waivers for the track.. Great opportunity to make unlimited runs and get your car and driving techniques dialed in!! Its a blast!! I will post some times,speeds and pics after it takes place. We have not locked a date for this year yet.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:33 AM

ORIGINAL: bowtietech

In the spring when it finally gets warm again in this part of the world a few guys in the shop where I work and some from a local tuner shop are going to rent a 1/4 mile dragstrip not far from here for a day. We get about 20 people and the cost is pretty reasonable for each person.The track supplies a couple of employees to run the timing equipment and naturally we have to sign off on the liability waivers for the track.. Great opportunity to make unlimited runs and get your car and driving techniques dialed in!! Its a blast!! I will post some times,speeds and pics after it takes place. We have not locked a date for this year yet.
Hi `Steve,
I really like like your plan....That would be so much fun.
It would be super `if the MCF could find a track for a
MCF ReUnion + Run `Off.
Contest: Best Monte on the MCF
Fastest Monte of the MCF.
Steve, keep us updated on your track day with lots of
pictures/video's of the run's.
Thanks, `Space

Old 02-16-2008, 09:26 AM

Thats an awesome idea for the MCF. Last year was the first time we did this and it was a really good time. One thing that I noticed was that some of the guys that talk the most s*%# about their cars were the guys that had the fewest win lights come on for them that day!!!! My frustration level is about maxxed out right now because I am recovering from hernia surgery that I had on 2/14,there is about 1 foot of snow on the ground here and its about 20 degrees outside,my SS is in the garage covered up and there is a Magnaflow cat back system,K&N cold air intake system and various other mods stacked up in a pile next to the SS waiting to be installed. Once in awhile I will hobble into the garage and sit down and look at the pile of parts and mentally plan out the install!!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Hi Steve,
I wish you a speedy recovery from your operation.
You have a lot to look forward to, and you are so lucky
to have the last year Monte Carlo SS waiting for your
improvements.
I know from my short drag racing experience that the one's
that brag on their cars, are the one's that end `up fading
at the strip : ) & they always have an excuse as to why their
car was beaten : ).
Hope you & your weather recovers soon.
Good Luck, & Keep us updated.
`Space