General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Doors keep freezing shut

Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Default Doors keep freezing shut

Hey everyone,
I have a 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo SS with a rather annoying issues. My doors always freeze shut, and I get stuck out there with a heat gun trying to thaw them out in 10 degree weather, praying I donít break my door handle. Do you guys have any tips on preventing the doors from freezing up?

Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Clean and condition the rubber seals around the door. A simple silicone should be all that's needed.

If even after this, they keep freezing, there might be a break in the seal that is allowing moisture to get through and freeze.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Clean and condition the rubber seals around the door. A simple silicone should be all that's needed.

If even after this, they keep freezing, there might be a break in the seal that is allowing moisture to get through and freeze.
This is exactly what I do. and it works. There might be some lock deicer out there you can also lubricate the latch with. But I always clean the door frame and silicone it and then clean the seals and silicone them as well. If your going to have issues with a Car the winter is a difficult time to have them.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:28 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate it! I did discover the driver side weatherstripping around the top of the door does have a crack in it, so that just makes matters worse. I got an estimate and I was quoted $360, since it is a dealer part and they would have to order it, and then it is riveted on. I have some commercial de icer I I spray in the crack to try and free it up, but it doesn't help much. This weekend I got the door opened, shut the door and started the car to let it warm up, only to find out that the door had froze shut immediately, and I was stuck inside the car until I could bust the door open with my shoulder. Not a fun time. I am going to go back through this weekend and clean and condition the door seals with some silicone, hopefully this prevents any future issues. Is their any silicone spray you recommend?

Old 01-24-2019, 11:14 AM

I'm not sure what product they use , but I've had really good luck with using armor all for tires.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think my bottle is liquid wrench? I'm not 100% as I'm not home

Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 PM

Trade it in for another Jeep ? I was born and brought up in Yankee land and never recall having a door freeze shut, but the windshield was always iced up, a pan of hot water from the faucet and you were good to go. Was always told that would crack the windshield but never saw it happen!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.